SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigmoof

next steps to help this problem area?

bigmoof
11 years ago

hi! i just moved to a new home and the whole front yard was previously used for parking! so, i immediately reclaimed an asphalt driveway and parking strip in the front of my house for planting. (see photo: i've circled the two areas i'm referring to.) it was a huge job to remove the top surfaces of the two areas. i had about 3 to 5 inches of whatever was on the top hauled away, and then i had someone loosen what was remaining to about 1 to 1.5 feet down. but the soil is still really packed hard under the newly dug up soil. and now... well, i don't know what to do next! my gut instinct is to have someone haul away another 1 to 2 feet of the crud that is still there, "fluff up" what remains underneath when the crud is gone, and then bring fresh soil in. the result would be 50% of whatever the compacted stuff is and 50% of new soil or amendment. then mix it together well. or should i first do a soil test of what is there now before doing anything else? it looks nasty to me now: subsoil, perhaps?? also, if i have soil brought in, will i be able to grow california native plants? i've heard that california natives don't like soil that is not, um, native. or should i try to "match" the same soil that is in the neighborhood? ... find similar soil and have it brought in to create a more native-friendly site? help please!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!