SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

First sighting ever for me but no photo

caterwallin
13 years ago

Oh my, today was Butterfly Central here...all kinds of butterflies and their aunts and uncles! This year has been a wonderful butterfly year after having two disappointing years. Today I saw a White Admiral for the first time! It was at the back of the garden about 30 feet away from me and the white caught my eye (lots of flowers between me and the butterfly). When I got a better view of it, I knew right away what it was. I ran in the house to get the camera but it was gone when I got back outside. I'm hoping that it will make another visit tomorrow! I started the butterfly garden in 2005 and expanded it every year since then up until last year, and my gardens are a real nice size now so I'm hoping that the more there is the more that will be attracted to our yard. I don't know what made the White Admiral stop here for the first time, but I'm glad that it did!

I've been looking my eyes out for Common Buckeyes since I planted the Verbena hastata in 2008, hoping that they'd lay eggs on it, but I haven't since any since the brief glimpse I got last year of one on a Verbena bonariensis (I think that's what it was on). The same thing happened with the buckeye...running for the camera only to come back out to find no buckeye.

The Spicebush Swallowtails finally showed up here a couple weeks ago and I've seen them here about every day since that but still no eggs on the spicebushes.

I've raised about 2 dozen Black Swallowtails, some Indigo Duskywings, Sleepy Oranges, Clouded Sulphurs, Pipevine Swallowtails, and Monarchs but really haven't kept track of how many like I did other years. It's kind of more fun doing it without all that bookkeeping. :)

I hope all of you are having a great butterfly year too. I'm sorry I don't stop in more often than I do, but the gardens and butterflies keep me uber busy. I try to read here as much as time will allow but just don't get to post much. I enjoy reading your posts.

Cathy

Comments (11)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County