SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nday_gw

Jade grafting update

nday
13 years ago

Hey everyone,

A while back I posted a question about if grafting jades was possible. I didn't get a conclusive response, so I decided to experiment and see what I could do. People knew it could be done, but no one that responded had successfully done it.

Either over Christmas break or spring break, I whacked one of my large jades. I also lopped a branch from another one of my jades and cut both at a diagonal. I matched up the segments and wrapped twine around the stem since I only had a night to do it and had no quality grafting materials around. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of that stage of the process.

I just got back home yesterday, and over those few months it looks like the graft took. Here are the pictures:

{{gwi:550139}}
This is the plant with the twine still attached. The entire top foliage is grafted on.

{{gwi:550141}}
Closeup of twine & graft.

{{gwi:550142}}
Twine removed.

{{gwi:550143}}
Closeup on graft after twine. Note the aerial roots it tried to develop before (I assume) the graft took.

{{gwi:550144}}
Another closeup. Here you can see where the real meat of the graft took.

With the success of this project, I really want to try a FrankenJade with branches of hobbit, gollum, compact, normal, hummel's sunset etc. It would take time, though, and right now the only other variety I have is a small gollum. Someday, though...

Comments (10)