SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

OT: free Erythrina Crista Galli seeds

14 years ago

Hello everyone!

I found about 15 ripe seed pods between the two of my young erythrina trees. All together, I have 21 little black beans for anyone who might want them. I can split them up into three groups of 7 each for the first three people who post here. The only requirement is that you be an active poster on this forum and that you keep the cycle of generosity going whenever you find you have excess seeds of something (not to me specifically, but to people on this forum in general). I'll pay for the postage, just email me your address and I'll get them out as soon as possible.

Erythrina Crista Galli is a beautiful small tree. It sports a thick, bulky trunk and huge, wine-red flower spikes. In zones 9 and above it can be planted in the ground where it will take off really fast. It can also be grown in conainers and I would think it's a perfect candidate for bonsai since its thick tap root and heavy trunk give it a gnarled look in pots. Here is a pic of an E. Crista Galli flower spike in my yard. My trees are three years old from seed and about 8 feet tall, just to give you an idea of the growth rate.

{{gwi:498041}}

One word of caution, the seeds are toxic and the tree's common name is cry-baby tree! That's because it's covered in sharp, curved spines that look like spurs. They are on the trunk, branches and even on the underside of leaves. I'd rather get into a fight with a rosebush than one of these suckers! haha

well, Who wants them?!

Josh

Comments (30)