SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Fern and Understory Palms/Cycad Suggestions

I'm wanting to put in a few filler plants in the understory of our shady lower garden area, now that nearly all the hardscape and building items are up (save the greenhouse, which we'll be working on this weekend). I have a few Australian Tree Ferns, which look very pretty, and a Holly Fern, but I'd like to add a few more ferns, palms and cycads down in this area, and maybe a few camellias and azaelas. This area is very shady, with some filtered sun either early in the morning, or very late in the afternoon. It is also the moistest area, due to all our water from our lot draining down to this area, and coldest spot in my yard, since it is the lowest spot, and the cold air tends to pool down there. I just put in a couple of Blechnum sp. 'Silver Lady' and two Asplenium bulbiferum (Mother Fern - I know, gigantic snail magnet, but they're so pretty). Any other suggestions that will continue with this tropical sort of look? I can post some photos of how it looks right now if that would help. Thanks, all!

Patty S.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath