SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadowmoth

Mystery cocoon

ShadowMoth
11 years ago

I hope it's okay if I post here to ask about a cocoon I found and not so much a matter of raising butterflies.

I live in northern-central PA (basically right on the border of PA and NY) and I'm used to seeing only two kinds of caterpillars around here:white fuzzy ones (which I think become gypsy moths) and really thick, furry brown-and-black ones. No idea what their actual names are.

But recently, I found a caterpillar stuck to a bush that was hairless, bright green, one end was wider than the other (I think the head was larger), and it had two lines of tiny yellow dots down its back. It didn't move for days, but then I checked on it and it was in sort of a half-cocoon stage. The caterpillar itself was maybe an inch long, maybe a little longer.

So I took the stick it was on and (gently) stuck it in a jar that I filled with leaves and grass and such because, hey, who doesn't like a furnished room? Anyway, this cocoon is about an inch long, has two little horns on its head, the underside and head are covered in silk while the back and tail still look exposed (I see segments of the body and little yellow ridges along the back). One side of the cocoon looks like it has a wet spot, but there is no water or moisture in the jar. I think that was where the strands of silk were that suspended the cocoon from its stick.

I thought maybe it was dead, but it occasionally wags its ail at me. Right now I've got it propped upright at about a 45 degree angle against some grass and leaves.

I have not the faintest idea what this thing will turn into or if it's even going to live since it fell off its branch. I have never seen a green caterpillar around here and I can't find any pictures that.

Does anyone know what I might have found? I will post a picture once I can find where I stuck my camera.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH