SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geekgranny

Suggestions: Full Sun Variegated

geekgranny
18 years ago

Hello all, I've been GW member for a while but this is my first post in Cannas.

I'm z8a, on the very rocky, alkaline, escarptment sw of Dallas, altitude close to 700ft. I currently do all my plants in containers; lots!! and many tropicals which go into one of several greenhouses in winter. I just purchased my first Cannas a couple of weeks ago, Tropicanna, and they are doing great in containers, full sun, near my pool.

For next year I'm tackling my front yard which has nothing but grassy weeds (as a result of killing all the SA a few years ago to plant [failed] buffalo grass; that's okay, though, because we are not visible to road and it keeps the mud down in winter with a herd of large and Giant dogs tromping around.... until I can figure out with what, and afford to replace "grassy weeds")

BTW... I'm starting lasagna beds in many areas but don't plan on digging holes for plants for at least a year or so.

Anyway, I have an 8 ft, off white, wood fence that separates my fenced immediate front yard, mostly cleared and sunny, from my mostly shaded "car yard" (we really have no front or back or side yards as we are in deep woods with views from all sides; what I call the front is what you see when you drive up to house.)

Along the fence where I want to do "landscaping" is about 25 ft in length. Right now on the car yard side I have 5 huge Texas Star Hibiscus that receive full sun most of day. For next year I'm moving them to other side of fence so they show when you drive up. They will get full sun from early morning until late afternoon. The TS Hibs are pretty full but light colored fencing does show through. What I want to plant in front of them is variegated, with white, Cannas to especially fill in at the bottoms where the TS Hibs tend to thin out as summer progresses. The Cannas probably need to stay at or near 5.5 ft leaf height, fully mature. Probably any color flower would work with the bright red Hibs. They will be planted in 1/2 wiskey barrels AND need to take the FULL Texas SUN, all day until late afternoon.

I would surely appreciate suggestions as to what, in your experience and/or knowledge, would be able to flourish in our brutal sun and is variegated. Soil and watering is not a concern as they will be in containers, with soil that I put together, and on very managed drip and/or hand watering when needed.

Thanks so very much, geekgranny

Comments (6)