SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Hillside Planting Suggestions for Steps and Path

I've got some landscaping challenges I'd love to get some suggestions on from the esteemed members of this forum :-) We've put in some flagstone steps up our back hillside, as well as a walking path that we laid down in DG. We have two challenges: Edging the walkway to reduce erosion, and also figuring out how to reduce erosion up the flagstone steps. It is entirely possible we may have to rip out the flagstone, and do some serious steps set in landscape timbers anchored with rebar, and the steps filled in with DG, sand, and then the flagstone surrounded with pea gravel, but if we can avoid that gigantic project, it would be great. For the steps, I'm hoping to find a good groundcover that will grow along side of the steps, as well as between them. Possibly the same for the walkway. Or, some way to trim both areas with a hardscape option? Just kind of at a loss as to what would be best. I was hoping we'd be able to trim the walkway in bender board, but we couldn't get the pathway to travel level, so that's not an option. I'm including some pics of the walkway and the steps so you can see what we're dealing with. We're in Vista, CA, Sunset Zone 23, and this slope faces south. The soil is pretty much DG itself, as well as some red clay. We're going to mulch the hillside after we get the plantings done, so that will help. Most of what's up on the hillside right now is drought tolerant (Rosemary, Santolina, Lavender). And, it has to stand up to our Aussie, who loves to race up the steps and along the paths! Any suggestions for ground covers, low shrubs or hardscape options would be very welcome!

Patty S.

{{gwi:531882}}

{{gwi:531883}}

{{gwi:531884}}

{{gwi:531885}}

Comments (9)