SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdogmom

Uh oh, another escapee!

tdogmom
16 years ago

I know, I know...tdogmom and her 'escapee' stories!

Two days ago I came in and found this gorgeous male Pipevine Swallowtail on the counter, hanging onto a bug cup. I thought, "Where in the heck did HE come from?" I took him outside and released him into the gorgeous summer sunshine. I came back into the bathroom and looked around. Nope, all of my pupae pop-ups were nicely sealed. Even DH said, "Any zippers open?" and I replied, "NOPE! He must've pupated someplace in this bathroom" and then I proceeded to search. Couldn't find anything.

Then yesterday, I went into the bathroom and I saw ANOTHER PVS. This one was at the bottom of the second door. It had obviously just eclosed as it was dripping meconium. I thought, "What the heck?!" and I put my finger down, it climbed up, and I placed it into a pop-up to allow it time to dry and harden its wings. I released him this morning.

Now, this one's empty exuvia I DID find. Yes, that is the CARPET you see next to the old tile from our bathroom (we have pulled up the carpeting in the bathroom as we are planning on re-doing the tiling in there)

{{gwi:523316}}

And I took a picture of him. He decided to open his wings and rest on DH's old windsurf mast (we have the mast in the backyard and use it to hoist up a windsock).

{{gwi:523318}}

I keep thinking, "Sheesh, I wonder if there are any other surprises in store for me? (ha! Chances are the answer is a resounding YES!). Now if those other pupae that are actually IN the pop-ups would just eclose!!!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH