SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

New to Brugs, not sure how to properly care for my young one

bettylu_zone6a
13 years ago

Hello all!

I have a young brug that I rooted over the winter and it is now about 2' tall and looks healthy. I have never grown anything similar, and mostly have a perennial garden with hostas, but I do have a sunroom and thought this would be a nice addition for winter enjoyment. So, here are a few questions:

I was talking with a friend and she warned me to not touch my brug without gloves and to keep it away from my dogs and cat due to its being poisonous... just how poisonous is it?

It gets very hot and humid in St. Louis during the summer. Is it better to take the plant outside or leave it in the sunroom?

What is the "best" light/location/potting soil for growing brugs? (I have vermicompost if that would be good)

How big do they have to be to bloom, and should I pinch (with gloves on!) the side sprouts that are very close to the bottom to encourage more upper growth?

Right now I have it planted in Miracle Grow potting mix, in a tall, urn shaped concrete planter (keeps it out of the reach of dogs and cats) - but this will be too heavy to bring inside, so it would have to be repotted in the fall. This urn is about 18" deep and 12" or so wide and is presently under an arbor that has clematis/climbing hydrangea growing on it. This is a partial sun area, as the arbor backs up to a line of fir trees and so the sun is from morning until about 2pm (somewhat filtered through the arbor as it passes overhead) Is this a good place?

Thanks for any suggestions/instructions/teaching you can offer. You are all so generous with your responses!

BettyLu

Comments (4)