SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adayfromnow

Canna is leaning. Is it because of the sun or how I potted it?

adayfromnow
17 years ago

Okay, I'm a newbie and I'm not sure what all I need to fix here. A neighbor gave me some cannas just over a week ago. The one in question is about 18" tall already with three good sized leaves (8-12" long). This is kinda goofy, so bear with me.

I just potted this thing and put it outside a couple days ago. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was vertical when I potted it. Now it's sort of leaning to one side. It happens to be leaning in the direction of where it gets the most sun, in the afternoon. I'm not sure if it's actually TRYING to lean towards the sun or if there's something happening under the surface that I can't see. The top of the soil is still pretty level.

I put it in a huge ceramic wine crock that's about 18" diameter and 24" tall, and weighs about 20 lbs empty. So that I would have a fighting chance of moving this thing if I needed to, and because the pot doesn't have good drainage, I filled the bottom half of the crock with wound up fallen tree limbs & vines and packaging peanuts (don't laugh - I got the idea on GW). I filled the rest of the crock with soil so that the crown (?) would be level with the surface.

Do I need to put this where it gets more balanced sun (vs mostly on one side) so that it doesn't topple over?

I need to find a different pot for it anyway (hubby's crock & he doesn't want me using it for a planter!). I thought they needed tall pots because they're tall plants, but I've since read that they do better in shallow pots. What is the shallowest pot you would recommend for a canna? I guess I should find out the narrowest as well.

Okay, now you can laugh at me.

Thanks for your help!

- Goofy... I mean, Mari

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County