SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msjerseygirl

Top Heavy Jade Leaning - Need Pot and Soil Recommendations

JerseyGirl (aka iheartorchids.com)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Yesterday, one of my Jade pots (containing 3 Jades from roots), two of the plants are so top heavy, the one side of the pot was in the air ready to tip over. So I moved it into the kitchen to lean against my squash basket until I can figure out what to do with it.

The two stalks are 18 inches in length already (and pretty thick), and they were growing straight up until yesterday, when they decided to lean.

I had repotted them on April 18th of this year into a bigger plastic pot with fresh soil. They were only half the size then, and just took off after repotting.

I've done some reading, and have come to two conclusions: first, I should repot them in a clay pot (correct?); and second, what is the BEST potting media for Jade? I don't want to have to buy 3 or 4 bags of ingredients and mix together...I'd rather buy one bag that fits the bill, if this exists. So please, recommendations, a mix that would also be perfect for Christmas Cactus, Desert Rose, Aloe, Hoya and Crown of Thorns.

Also, would it be wise to trim them down (and root the cuttings?), but not sure exactly where I would cut. Sterilized sharp knife, correct?

I have another pot of 4 smaller Jades, and they're doing very well....but I can see I'm going to run into the same 'tipping' problem this summer with them.

All my succulents are very healthy....tiny bit of water every couple of weeks, but mist daily during hot summer months.

Thanks so much!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County