SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelicar_gw

Source on Grevillea shiresii x G. oleoides 'Ruby Clusters'

angelicar
16 years ago

I was out at the UCSC arboretum and saw Grevillea shiresii x G. oleoides "Ruby Clusters" Anybody know of any sources on this plant, either mail order or local to the Sacramento area? The hummingbirds were just amazing around this shrub.

Comments (6)

• bahia
    16 years ago

You might phone the arboretum and see if this is a hybrid they will have for sale at their spring sale. Probably not readily available in the trade, as much of what UCSC comes directly from Australia and has not been taken up for propagation here in California. Also, it might help to know that this hybrid might not be fully hardy in Sacramento, and many of the more commonly available species/hybrids are also hummingbird magnets. I would suggest looking on line to see if either Monterey Bay Wholesale Nursery in Watsonville, Sierra Azul Retail Nursery in Watsonville, or San Marcos Growers Wholesale Nursery in Santa Barbara carry this, but I am guessing that none of them do... Each will have a plethora of other similar species and hybrids, however, and give info on hardiness as well, and all but Sierra Azul's stock can be special ordered in by your favorite local nursery.

• youreit
    16 years ago

'Ruby Clusters' is on the Spring 2008 UCSC Aboretum Plant Sale List. :)

Brenda

• hong2007
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I usually hang out at the Brugmansia forum. I notice Brenda post the list of UCSC plant sale list. Do you know if they ship their plants? or you have to go to their campus to purchase it? I live in bakersfield, california.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Here is a link to the arboretum page, Hong. It looks like you may have to make a trip there if you want one of their plants. And the spring sale is this weekend!

Brenda

• angelicar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I called the arboretum and they do not offer a mail order service, but they recommended the Sierra Azul nursery that bahia mentioned above. They are in Watsonville, and we do make occasional trips to Salinas so I think I'll wait to see their stuff in person. Thanks for the help, everybody!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sierra Azul nursery site

• slave2thefur
    16 years ago

Be very careful around spikey-leaved grevillea such as Ruby Clusters. A small percentage of the population (moi) gets a severe allergic reaction from touching the leaves. Do not plant it near walkways - it's too large anyway - just anywhere you can watch the hummers!