SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Where Have I Been?

susanlynne48
13 years ago

Well, I've been doing a couple projects this year, not having to do with butterflies and having to do with butterflies. I grew new milkweed species (to me) and I've been attempting to become a serious tomato grower. With the prices of food, and the taste-free tomatos in the stores, I am growing a few varieties this year, and learning more about container gardening, soil mixes, and organic fertilizers, especially working with Al's 5:1:1 mix. I am hoping the mix will work well for some of my containerized butterfly hosts/nectar plants.

I've had quite a number of butterflies in the garden this year. Tons of Hackberry and Tawny Emperors, QMs, Red Admirals, Sleepy Oranges, Black Swallowtails, Pipevine Swallowtails, a few Giant Swallowtails, tons and tons of skippers, Snouts, Texas Crescent, Silvery Checkerspots, Gorgones, Scallopwings, Wild Indigos, Tigers, and such. But, I went out to water this evening - it's been so terribly hot and humid this summer with heat indices around 105-125 degrees - and noticed the Tropical Milkweeds were sadly drooping with thirst. As I watered them I noticed a few blooms appeared missing, and then I saw them - Monarch cats. Now I thought I saw a couple of Monarchs the other day in the garden, but it didn't appear that any egg-laying was going on. The heat has driven me to get out early, water quickly, and get back inside, so to be honest, I really didn't pay that much attention, having pretty much resigned myself to the fact that Monarchs were scarce this year, and I probably would not see any even during the fall migration. So, what a nice surprise. I have tons of milkweed, but they were only found on the Tropical, not the Family Jewels, incarnata, purpureum, redring, giant, speciosa, or viridis. Hmmmmm.

Hope to get back with the program before long, but I still have a few fall tomatos to pot up, soil to mix, etc., which means I gotta get out there early (hot even then) end get things done before it's too hot.

Miss you guys!

Susan

Comments (5)

Sponsored