SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merricat_gw

Er....I lied. Sort of. (Regarding Lilies, please join in)

merricat
18 years ago

When I answered Eric's post ("Coming to Calgary and need some help"), I said something along the lines that you shouldn't plant tiger lilies near other lilies because they'll cross-pollinate and the OTHERS will become TG.

That's not exactly true. Ok, it just plain ISN'T true. I was trying to short-cut the information to make a point....and I've been called on it.

Mea Culpa. Mea (Nissan) Maxima Culpa. ;-)

Of course one plant can't "become" another plant. Does your Climbing Rosebush suddenly become a black-eyed Susan because happen to swap pollen? Nah.

I should have been more specific: TL can cross with some lilies and create seeds that will have TL characteristics (petal shape, colour, etc.)

The gardener who wrote me about this sent a detailed and very informative letter on general plant genetics. I've asked for permission to post it here (I don't pass on private messages without permission. Ever.), so hopefully I can add it to this thread when/if a reply comes.

Meanwhile, please jump in with your own experiences on lily-growing. I'm relatively new-ish at it (only 4 years), and they're such lovely and resiliant flowers that I'd welcome a little discussion-forum.

Hope you do too. :-)

Toujours gai,

Merricat

Comments (2)