SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brindlebutt

I have a chrysalis - what do I do now?

brindlebutt
14 years ago

This is my first experience with hand rearing caterpillars and I have had a ball with it, it's just been so much time living with them and keeping their little bellies full. The majority of them now are getting to the Scary Eating stage - where they eat so much it is astonishing. Luckily I have enough milkweed!

I had a bigger chap, and he pupated yesterday approx 8:30pm and made his chrysalis this morning. I could swear I checked on him at 9am and he was still in J-position, and I checked again at 11:30am, and was amazed to see that a chrysalis had formed in that time. Is that what actually happens?

Here is my question: I have him housed in a 10inch tall, 7 inch diameter round clear plastic container. I covered it with a mesh which I secured with a rubber band, and he attached himself to the mesh at the top. But what do I do now? I know not to bother him at all for at least 24 hours, and I am anxious enough I will leave him for 48. Can I just leave him on the mesh? I need to get his milkweed out though, which would mean carefully taking off the rubber band and being careful with the mesh. I was THINKING I would just put the chrysalis, attached to the mesh, and just secure it again with the rubber band. I am a little nervous about moving him around - which is why I am asking your opinions. Is he well enough attached that I can risk taking off then replacing the rubber band over the mesh that tops his container? Or is there something else I should do? I've heard about picnic food covers, and little aquariums, etc, but not even sure how to put him in one of those as he is on the mesh. I'd be scared to death to cut the silk at the top...although of course I could cut the mesh. But if I did - what would I attach him to? If it is rainy and I need to get sugar water to him - what then?

I am sorry to ask these stupid questions, but this is my first time, and this is the last time I will ask you caterpillar gurus this particular stupid question.

I have to get this all sorted out pronto because I have 8 other cats that look like they will be pupating in about 4 days. Aaaargh!

Comments (6)

Sponsored