SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diytrying_gw

Now I have it, what do I do with it?

diytrying
17 years ago

I made some great finds at the thrift shop for about $7. The small stuff in front is enamel earrings and pins. The thing in the left back with only the price sticker showing is one of those clear heavy square flat sided vases. Love those flat sides for stained glass. May not even grout that one. The "it" in question is the rose candle base and topper. It is made out of that heavy resin and I haven't had much luck getting that to break instead of crumble. There are hardly any places that stand up enough to get hold of them to break them off. The topper has a kind of a spongy bottom that I can get off so I can use that whole on something. Any and all ideas for either piece, how to break or use whole, would be greatly appreciated. (Good news is, if I decide not to use it, can donate it and they can sell it again.)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Screwdriver/hammer technique has been successful w/me.

• cait1
    17 years ago

Maybe it would be lovely on a bowling ball? Looks to be just the right size. Mosaic the rest of the ball in soft colors. June will be here before you know it and it may be a great wedding present for that special bride.
    Cait

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

I've had great success with the screwdriver hammer method.

• diytrying
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. cait, good idea, I can use the topper on a bowling ball. Just happen to have an extra and plenty of pastel glass. slow and nice, I'll try the screwdriver and hammer on the big piece. Surely I can get some smaller pieces out of it. How do you stabilize your piece while you are trying to chip a certain piece out of it? I can't seem to come up with anything that doesn't involve me growing a third hand.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Got an old pillow or a thick, heavy towel? You know what? I just looked at that huge bunch of flowers again and thought - what if you found something to mosaic on which you could use that whole piece for the hat??? You could make a stylized "Lady" and put that whole piece on her. Don't chop it up yet. If I had it, I'd make a concrete figure, using the technique we learned in P.V. That's a perfect hat crown.

• crackpotannie
    17 years ago

I don't think resin will break right...Ceramic flaowers yes but not resin????????Like Slow said use as is ,I recently saw some mosaic cakes you could make those flowers your top layer..........Annie

• lilym
    17 years ago

I have a couple saucers like that one in my booth. I was just looking at them yesterday thinking - if you don't sell soon, you're toast.

• diytrying
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey thanks for the ideas and methods to work on the resin. I didn't have much luck before on a small piece and I hated to ruin this one.slow, maybe I can find something premade to use the ring for a hat. Just working up the nerve to try a concrete ball (lurking on the hypertufa forum here) to mosaic. annie, that's a good idea too. I think I've seen something like that. Wonder what the base is; you can tell I have no imagination. If you can tell from the picture, the bottom piece has a metal ring that the top piece doesn't quite cover so I would have to do something to fill up those spaces. Ah, the fun of the challenges. Lilym, aren't these saucers pretty - I am not in any hurry to break mine.

• diytrying
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just discovered the ring of roses will almost fit into the circle where the mirror goes in one of my mirrors. Wonder if my brother will go nuts if I ask him for a mirror with exactly the right diameter in the middle! Let's see, if I have enough old looking blue and white china pieces to cover the mirror, hum......

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County