SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Looking for small tree form Camellia

jockewing
10 years ago

I have a large Crape Myrtle tree close to my front door. I love how it sort of frames the front entry of the house, but unfortunately it is too shady and the tree throws up long spindly branches reaching for the light, never flowers well, and is constantly dropping leaves and getting leaf spots in the summer. Another problem is the tree sucks up ALL the water and I can't really plant any bedding plants or caladiums in my beds as the tree hogs all the water and nutrients.

I am seriously considering removing the tree and have been thinking about replacing it with a large camellia preferably with a multitrunked small tree shape, sort of reminiscent of multitrunked camellias, except smaller and better able to tolerate the shade and without the constant leaf drop.

I am in Slidell, LA, called the Camellia city in the New Orleans area, so I am in prime Camellia country. Any recommendations for varieties that work well in the tree type shape. I don't mind if it gets as high as 15-20 feet tall eventually. I love the full double flowers and like the pinks. I am loving the pictures of Pink Perfection but don't know if it is amenable to tree shapes.

I am willing to spend the money to buy a large specimen, although I know it would probably be quite expensive, as it would be placed in such a prominent position in front of my house and I don't want to have to wait decades for it to reach a decent size.

Any recommendations? Pics would be appreciated!

You can see in the pic below the crape myrtle by the front door this would be replacing. Note the fatsias died for some unknown reason. The one on the left has been replaced by a variegated shell ginger and there in nothing where the one on the right was now. Note this is from several years ago and the tree is much bigger now.

{{gwi:518143}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services
More Discussions