SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

Jade cuttings & such

Joe1980
13 years ago

I've had the same "jade strain" for about 10 years now, and what I mean by that is that I started with one, that was free from a greenhouse because it was dumpster fodder. They thought it was non-sellable because it was on it's death bed. So I took it, and brought it back to health way back when. Anyway, it was multi-trunked, and I was looking for a tree form, so I split it all up, and kept the one tree part I wanted, and gave away the rest. About 5 years ago, I made a miscue and left it outside on the deck on a fall night with a hard frost. Needless to say, it didn't survive, but luckily that summer, a dropped leaf rooted, and to this day, I still have it. So, my original dumpster fodder jade is still with me.

That's the history of my jade, but my topic is related to rooting a cutting. Last week I trunk chopped it, for the second time, but this time I saved a cutting to root. It is about 10" tall, and the base is maybe 3/4" thick. I've never actually attempted to root a cutting before though. So far, I let it callus over, and made a contraption to hold it upright, in a small clear plastic container, with drain holes drilled in it. I filled the container with Al's gritty mix. I have a vision on what I want this one to look like, and the cutting was the perfect shape, so I really want it to work out. My question is, now that it's in the gritty mix, I must wait to water at all until I see growth, am I correct? About how long can I expect this to take? The leaves are starting to shrivel a bit, which I know is the sign that it's craving water, although no roots = no water.

Also, I obtained a small stem of portulacaria afra (elephant bush) that was laying on a shelf at a greenhouse, broken off a bigger one. They said I could take it, so I did. It was already callused, so I immediately did the same as my jade cutting, rigging it upright in a plastic container, with gritty mix. I would assume I treat this guy the same as my jade cutting? It seems a bit soft & floppy today, and the leaves feel thin, so I really hope it makes it.

Feel free to toss me some ideas and tips, to assure me I am on the right track. I always have difficulty buying tree type plants, because I am picky about the form, and feel like these cuttings are the ticket to creating the trees I envision. Thanks in advance!

Joe

Comments (9)