SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joebauer_gw

When to Water Extremely Large Jade Cutting

JoeBauer
11 years ago

Hi moved from San Diego to Minneapolis, MN. A huge difference in climate. When i moved i wanted to take on a project of rooting an extremely large jade cutting. This stump was taken from a large jade bush-like plant from a San Diego ditch (they grow wild there). This stump is about 6 to 8 inches in diameter at the base and about 4 feet in height. I cut the stump about a week before i drove from San Diego to Minneapolis, MN. The cuts dried out for about a week in the shade in San Diego, then continued to dry out in my car as the voyage took another 4 days. when i got to Minneapolis a couple of the top branches got mold so i re-cut them. Luckily the bottom of the stump showed now signs of mold or infection. After about a week i put root hormone on the bottom of the stump then potted it in succulent potting soil i bought from the Home Depot. I watered the very bottom soil of the bucket then put dry soil over the slightly moist soil, then placed the huge branch upright and let it sit outside about 8 months ago in August (weather was 55 to 80). It showed a couple of signs of new growth within a month or so. Once the weather turned cold i brought it inside to the sunniest spot in my house. I placed a heat blanket around the bucket and to warm the roots during the winter months. It has continued to sprout new growth and i have not watered this plant even 8 months after i first potted it. I am so nervous of rot and i am unsure when to water this plant. The new sprouts look healthy and continue to keep growing and pop up through out the plant. When should i water this plant? How much? When will it be acceptable to re-pot this plant? This bucket was only meant to be a temporary vessel. Keep in mind i have drilled holes in the bottom of the bucket so the water will drain. I am too nervous to take the trunk out of the soil to see if roots have formed or not. Anyone with expertise with rooting jade this large please offer me some advise. Thanks.

Comments (29)