SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Recommend an easy fruit tree for my garden

16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've posted this over on the Orchard & Organic forums, but since I'm here in Northern California I'm hoping there's someone in my zone who can say what has worked for them.

I want to espalier a fruit tree on a western-facing wall to use every available inch of my garden. But after preliminary searches here at GW it looks like fruit trees are hard: varmits, molds, critters, bugs, sprays, chemicals... etc. I'm not sure I'm up for it yet.

I'm interested in recommendations to any good dwarf apple trees, maybe a pear. My husband wants a peach. I'd even do a plum or a fig. Any of these choices will be fine, if I can find one that will do well in my climate and not require gallons of chemicals to keep it alive AND fruiting. (I'm hoping to do 100% organic.)

Is there a particularly hardy type of fruit tree that requires less maintenance?

Are there any idiot-proof fruits (LOL) that I could just plant, water, and fertilize and hope to get some fruit from?

I'm in Contra Costa County in the 'burbs. We do have critters (racoons, skunks, and squirrels) in the yard at night. And deer. Damned deer. But I'll be putting a deer fence around the garden and hoping they won't hop the fence.

I might want to mention that I'm already doing citrus in pots on my back patio... so I'm hoping to do something other than citrus in the veggie garden.

Your tips, suggestions, and commiseration are all much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kristi

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions