SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
california_dreamer

Newbie needs suggestions for filling in steep slope

california_dreamer
16 years ago

Hi

After spending the past 6 months on the kitchens forum working on a major remodel I am finally ready to tackle the horrible back yard of my newly purchased house.

I'm looking for some suggestions and advice. I'm new to gardening and my husband and I and going to have to DIY it since we really can't afford to hire someone to redesign and replant the area.

The main problem area is a huge slope that surrounds our property (we're at the end of a cul-de-sac). It has a dozen or so 25 yr old pine trees that we plan to keep. There is also some ground cover/vines/etc in some areas. But there are huge bare spots that are ugly and I want to try to unify it and make it look attractive.

Since it is a large area, I'm planning to work on it in sections. My top priority is the area directly behind my patio.

{{gwi:522744}}

It is about 40 feet long. The slope is about 50 feet up. The vines covering the retaining wall at the base need to go. As you can see, the shady area under the pines is fairly well covered with some kind of vine- which I would probably keep. But the sunnier places at the base are bare. And the area on the far left is a real eyesore.

Any suggestions about what to plant in these areas?

I'm in Agoura Hills (not sure which zone that is- sunset 21-23?). It gets pretty hot here in the summer so I need something hardy that can survive the heat.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Here are a couple other photos of the slope. I'm going to work on these sections at some point in the future.

{{gwi:522746}}

This section is mostly sunny. I think the orange flowers are gazanias?? There is also some rosemary mixed in there.

{{gwi:522747}}

This area is off to the side and seems to be doing pretty well with the rosemary.

{{gwi:522749}}

This section is struggling. I has some scattered rosemary but I think it is probably too shady for it to thrive here.

As you can see my slope is a big project for a novice gardener. I think it will take me several seasons to get it looking really good. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum along the way.

Thanks!

Comments (8)