SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_nj6

Strange monarch cat behavior; not eating.

15 years ago

I found another monarch cat on Monday night, about 8pm, on a small unexplained shoot of A. syriaca sprouting in my lawn, about a foot from what was the parent plant (me no likey syriaca, and never had a cat on one yet). So, I pulled the plant (of which the few leaves it did have were uneaten), which was about 8", out of the ground, snipped it, put into a container, covered with tulle, and waited. The next morning, it was still on the syriaca, but hadn't eaten any of it, not one bite. Well, the cat hadn't eaten 12 hours later (we're now at 24 hours since finding), so into the container I put additional milkweed, a few leaves of incarnata and a few of curassavica, thinking it's just being finicky, like my real cat (kitty). Fast forward to this morning; it's on the tulle (top of container) still, nothing eaten, 2 small pieces of frass. To insure it's survival (if that's still possible at this point), I removed it from the container, put it onto a potted curassavica and put into my caterpillar cage outside. My potted incarnata's are too big to put in, and I have no other varieties in pots. It is moving, it is alive, but not eating. It hasn't eaten any leaves of the curassavica that I can see. I'm going to get a twig of tuberosa, incarnata & syriaca just to see if this sucker will eat. But, we're approaching the 48 hour mark and I'm worried. I don't recall in the last 2 years such a finicky cat. Plus, Morris (yes, that finicky 9-Lives cat is it's new name), is in the cage outside, and we're due for some storms, which I'll have to cover. Not a problem though.

Am I being too much of a worry-wart?

Comments (3)