SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charmed_gw

Wow! Even the commonest species are fascinating!

charmed
14 years ago

Hello all. I'm pretty new to butterfly gardening; in fact, I'm more of a native-species gardener, and I'm happy with all the insects I get. But this year I was worried and sad because we had so few butterflies. Lots of cabbage whites of course, and one thrilling spring azure, but nothing else. Well, just today I saw a black swallowtail hovering around my dill. I checked after she flew away and sure enough found some eggs. As a bonus, I also found two cats, both had just shed their 2nd or 3rd instar skin, and were eating it up. Now they're munching the dill, and I couldn't be happier. I've still got my fingers crossed that my asclepias (one youngish tuberosa and one newly-sprouted incarnata) will one day attract some monarchs, and that my spicebush shrubs will get spicebush swallowtails, but I'm pleased as punch with these common little black swallowtails. Next year I'll be planting more host and nectar species. Even though I live in the city, I'm close to a park with a stream, so I think I might get a pretty good variety.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH