SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosiecalgal

Help for southern California semi-newbie, please.

rosiecalgal
16 years ago

Hi everyone!

I've been posting in the tomato forum for a little while but have only lurked here. Now I need your help.

I have a brugmania that was just labeled "pink" that I got from a local nursery two years ago. It bloomed last year, but sparingly. It seems to HATE being in the sun here. It droops, the leaves turn yellow and then fall off. The same thing happens to the Betty Marshall brug I've had for a year. The Betty Marshall does bloom rather heavily but boy do her yellow leaves look AWFUL. I water regularly and give them both a drink of Miracle Grow every two weeks. BTW, both of them are in large pots (20 inch) as we have rock hard clay here.

Now I have just received Cherub, Lemon Twist and Cassy's Curls from Park Seed. I really need some help trying to find the proper place to put all five of these plants so they will look as lovely as I know they can. I put the "pink" under a tall tree and the leaves are huge and beautifully green but it doesn't seem to want to bloom there. The Betty Marshall is on the east side of the house and gets morning and early afternoon sun.

Does anyone here live in this general area? I live in the San Fernando Valley and it can get quite hot here with intense sun, especially in the summer. Any ideas would be appreciated. I know some of you are VERY experienced with these wonderful plants. I want them to thrive and be gorgeous.

Wendy

Comments (9)