SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slfairless

Possible bad trader; Need advice?

slfairless
15 years ago

I think I've been 'taken' by someone from this forum and I could use a little advice (her trade thread is in the brug exchange forum).

I was looking to swap flat rate boxes but per her request we increased to large boxes. The box I sent was about $17 to ship and contined...

Cleopatra Canna

Red Stripe Canna

Dahlia

Plumeria (1 rainbow & 1 yellow/white)

Ivory Tower Yucca

I was supposed to receive...

Unnamed Brugs

Alocasias

Bananas

Surprise tropicals

I first started to get a bad feeling right after I sending my package because she didn't respond to my shipping notification email. The next response I received said "I apologize that I didn't recognize it as being a go ahead kind of thing - I'll get yours out tomorrow" which was a bit odd because we fully discussed the trade and had exchanged addresses on April 15th.

Her box was to be mailed at this time so the next response should have been her shipping notification. Instead the next response I received was claiming most of the plants were rotten and advising me to always send second day mail. I had a feeling something like this was coming. I explained that the plants are likely not rotten, that they are still dormant from winter storage, and that shipping time should make no difference with dormant plants. The plants will be fine after they get a little water and sunshine.

The rhizomes and tubers would have to be left outside overnight with below freezing temps to be damaged, which we didn't have during this time, and even if they were to get damaged by cold they won't become rotten overnight. The plumeria are a little more temperamental and can be damaged a little more easily.

I'm in SE MI and have been growing tropicals for a long time, pulling them up every fall and replanting the next spring. I definitely know the difference between dormant and rotten rhizomes. Sometimes the stuff looks a bit ruff after winter storage but they always come back strong.

Now it seems she is refusing to respond to any of my emails. I've asked for pics so I can assess and if the plants really are "rotten" we can work something out. I've even asked just to get my own plants back, which sucks because then I'm out the $17 shipping charges for nothing in return but it would be nice to get my Cleopatra and Plumeria back.

Anyway, sorry for dragging you all into this drama but I've done a lot a trades and this is the first time I've ever come across something like this so I'm not quite sure how to handle it. I haven't named this trader yet because I'm still hoping she comes through and I'm not real sure how long I should give her before I consider the trade a bust.

Thanks!

Comments (7)