SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raccoonmink

Possibly Contaminated Soil- Advice needed!

RaccoonMink
11 years ago

Hello! So my family moved into a new house in a nice small town and had already begun tilling and digging our plot when we discovered that there had been a giant chemical waste dump within 3 miles of our house. It was bad enough that it became a "superfund", or had to be cleaned with federal money. The project still isn't done yet, and while the contaminated soil is far away from where I live I'm worried about the groundwater. There is an "underwater plume" that goes right down the street I live off of, and remedial work had to be done to houses because fumes were getting through people's basements. All streams, swamps, and rivers are severely contaminated so any runoff or flood may have contaminated my soil and the town hasn't been able to tell me with accurate certainty where this underground water travels (it could be under my house and I wouldn't know it!) So there is a chance that my soil is contaminated with heavy metals and VOCs and other chemical contaminants. I don't know for sure, and I don't know how likely it is. I also was not able to find a reliable test for all of the different contaminants that wasn't only offered to commercial growers.
My questions are 1) how much do I have to be worried about the spread of contaminants through soil? I don't have a stream in my yard, but the underground stream concerns me and I don't know if any of these substances can migrate upwards through soil.
2) Do you know of a company that will test VOC's, heavy metals, and other contaminants from samples sent in?
3) Has anyone else done this/ been in a similar situation?
4) Would it be a better idea to just not risk it and go for containers/ raised beds?
Thank you!

Comments (9)