SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plaidbird

Old camillia tree looks more yellow ?

plaidbird
11 years ago

No idea when these were planted, the house was built in the later 1880's. I'm so accustomed to these trees taking care of themselves, it's possible the one I'm worried about has always been this color. But it really seems like it's getting more yellow the last few years.

The photo shows the tall red on that I'm concerned about. Behind it is the pink, blooms end of December, first of January one.. that is a normal darker green. Behind that is the skinny one that blooms in the fall. Pretty little thing with pink and white flowers.

The three in the photo are planted close, and on their south side, the land drops off to the neighbors sloped driveway, so before he planted a laurel hedge, the drainage was excellent. It's possible the area is not draining as freely now, but that's only a little guess on my part. Heavy rain has always pooled a bit close to there, but then drains as the rain lets up.

My plan is to dig a few better drain area between the neighbors hedge plants..just in case.

I bought some Camellia/Rhodie food. But thinking I should first check here and be sure I'm not feeding a sick plant, which is a bad thing I know.

They have never been fed before.

Our soil here is slightly acidic and known as Camellia/ Rhodie heaven.

In the hottest part of the summer they do get water as a natural slop over from watering plants nearby.

The nearby Sweet-gum trees drop tons of leaves on their soil surface, which I leave to decompose till spring when I do a clean up to prevent slug Disneyland. When cleaning up I only pull off debris and find the area has a nice layer of compost like stuff covering it. Same for the upcoming cleaning of dropped flowers and the wave of old camellia leaves to follow. I make a point of not stripping the soil bare.

If all you Camellia lovers have not dropped over ded in shock from from my lack of care of these old dears, I am going to post a couple more photos.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions