SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vegasgardener

new potted dwarf Bonanza peach tree-looks good, need I do more?

VegasGardener
12 years ago

I have a newly potted Bonanza dwarf in it's pot for about a month and a half now. It looks great, leaves look abundant and great, no obvious signs of stress. It bloomed a full tree of flowers, which have now dried up and gave way to many little peach fruits, I believe. I have a few questions about the tree.

1. Need I do anything while the fruit are growing, such as fertilize? I have Miracle gro 24-8-16 that I used on my lemon tree that appeared to be showing signs of needing fertilizer. The plant looks great so I hesitate to do anything but water it as it's needed.

2.I can't tell how old this tree is. I assume a year old, since I got it from the nursery, but it's trunk is a good 1.5-2 inches around, but that is before the graft. not sure how that works. any way of telling how old it is? I am surprised it's flowering and fruiting the first year I have it.

3.if the peaches do continue to grow, do I need to get some netting soon to wrap around it to prevent the local wildlife from eating the peaches at some point? I do know the local birds eat our grapes if not netted.

The tree looks great. Today I followed thinning instructions i read, and thinned the peaches to 1 every 6 inches, and also removed the multi peach peaches.

I can take some pics later and post them up too.

Comments (12)