SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sil72

Old Camellia turning yellow after transplant

Sil72
11 years ago

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and i really appreciate your advice for my beloved Camellia Japonica.
We recently moved into a new home and needed to extend the property. Sadly, a 35 year old Camellia was on the wrong spot so needed to be moved. I have been reading a lot before the transplant to gain as much knowledge as possible but still i have few doubts that she will survive.
This is a nearly 2.5mt (approx.7-8 feet)height tree that used to be really healthy up until 4 weeks ago when we had to move it few meter down in the back garden on a raised bed area.

I sensibly pruned it the day before the transplant keeping the shape and without cutting the top main branch only to just reduce the bulk of it as well as the numbers of buds to help the root system to pick up quicker.

During transplant the main root system was not too much damaged i believe as we watered the plant abundantly during the day and night. However, during transplant the tap root snapped, the ditch was the right size of the root ball and is currently sitting i believe correctly 2 inches above ground.
I did put most of her original soil in the ditch mixed with mature mulch i had available in my garden as well as water.
We kept the same orientation as in the old spot and still in north facing position. Compared as before now she gets only a little more direct sun light for few hours in the afternoon. Bear in mind in UK there isn't such strong sunshine during winter/spring months.

I watered it 2 times a week on slow water pressure for about 45min each.

After 1 week of transplant i added some Bone Meal,so they call it here, at the foot of the trunk to help the root system to recover and start growing again. I examined the roots and noticed they were looking a bit burned I must admit. So, i decided to add 2 inches of fine pine bark mulch to help balance the acidity/moist of the soil, but still no sign of improvement till now after 4 weeks.

Basically, I've got left only 1 quarter of the plant looking healthily green with few flower buds still looking strong and the rest of it is all yellowish looking with few buds too which don't seem to have turned yellow a lot.

I'm very worried that i'm going to loose my beautiful tree.
Any advice will be extremely appreciated.
Thanks,

Silvia

p.s. I can post some pictures if required.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions