SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Feeding the monarch cats

greenhaven
15 years ago

In my first thread I shared about finding way more Monarch cats on my swamp milkweed than the plants could support, since the plants are mostly very young and small.

Today I relocated five of them, and brought three inside. Two are large, at least fourth instar. One is tiny, first instar, i am sure. each got theior own container, a half-gallon canning jar (or equivalent) with mesh over the top.

I brought in large pieces of the plants the cats were on, and harvested some common milkweed leaves on my way back from the release. I washed them thoroughly and put them into a plastic ziplock in the fridge.

One large cat seems to be very unhappy now. He has crawled to the bottom of the jar and is holding onto the underside of the stem, so low to the ground that his "horns" are bent over. He has already pooped four times in the last hour.

I have several questions:

1) will they get enough air in their jars?

2) Do the leaves have to be put in the jars in some sort of water or can they just be placed in there?

3)The leaves have no stems. If they need water supplement what should I do?

4) Do the cats themselves need water, or do they get what they need from the leaves?

5) Do they pout? Do I need to cajole the seemingly unhappy one?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone