SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcntn

April Dawn Camellia, pretty much a total loss

JCNTN
12 years ago

Kind of bummed out this year by my April Dawn Camellia. It was looking great all last year. It grew very well, and developed 30+ large, healthy looking buds.

But this spring, I've gotten one or two good flowers, all of the rest of the buds open up halfway and fall off. When I pull the buds apart, I can see the petals looks lightly tea stained or something. Just a tinge of brown on them, around the edges. Especially at the edge that connects them to the bud.

I've read that poor watering in the summer leads to spring time bud drop. And last summer was a very hot/dry one. And the camellia is in a container, which I know requires more water than if it were planted in the ground. So I guess the answer is to water it twice a day this summer.

I hope that's the solution. I'd hate to wait another year and see the same result.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

The shrub looks otherwise healthy. The leaves are nice and shiny and feel healthy and strong. The growth rate is strong. Everything looks perfect, except the buds are falling off.

I have it on the north west corner of my house. It gets full shade until noon or so, then full sun for a few hours, then dappled sun until sunset.

I left it in the container so I could move it around to find the better spot for planting. Maybe I should move it over to the east side of the house. Won't look as nice or be as visible over there, but I'd rather have a healthy plant than a sick one.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions