SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Winter Losses

shive
6 years ago

We had some lengthy periods of near zero temps over the winter, and several of my Florida plants lost fans.

Mayan's Dawn went from five fans to two.

Nordic Soul went from three fans to one, and it's planted in a sheltered spot right next to the house!

(I was very disappointed about nearly losing those Floyd Cove purples. Luckily, my favorite, Midnight Castle came though the winter unscathed.)

Picasso's Intrigue went from four fans to one.

Core Values went from six fans to two.

I thought Banded Broadbill had died, but I finally have one fan emerging.

Bow Tie Affair went from two fans to one. That one just needs to go south, if the one fan survives. It never multiplied well, was much shorter than registered, and didn't have many buds here.

Bull Frog Kisses went from seven fans to one. I lost that one once in a pot and replaced it. But even in the ground with plenty of mulch, it's too tender for several days of zero temps.

The good thing is that all those new pinks I bought, several of which are evergreens, are doing well.

I lost a couple in pots, a couple of seedlings planted out in late October, and a bunch of seedlings in plastic cups under my carport that I never got planted in the ground last year. The surviving 20 seedlngs in cups can be considered extra hardy.

I also lost two of my first-year seedlings in the seedling bed to some kind of burrowing varmint that ate both roots and crown on the plants. It may have been voles.

Comments (29)