SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Big, Egg-Bearing Spicebush Swallowtail

MissSherry
10 years ago

I like to go out to my garden at noon time, because that's the time butterflies seem to lay most of their eggs. It's hot out there, but worth seeing. I saw what I thought at first glance was a black form female tiger swallowtail, with male spicebush swallowtails flirting with her! When I got closer, I could she was just a BIG female spicebush swallowtail. She nectared on the big lantana, and, while the males were flirting, she darted over to a small sassafras in the garden and laid an egg! So obviously she's already mated and isn't interested. Do female butterflies ever mate more than once? I got two pictures of her, which was hard to do, because she wouldn't quit fluttering her wings.

I'm posting it to show the 'true blue' coloring on the hindwings of a female spicebush swallowtail, because some on this forum have asked whether their SBSTs are male or female.

{{gwi:504955}}

{{gwi:504957}}

I wish I could have gotten pictures that show more of the blue, but it's very much like the blue on a tiger swallowtail, but there's less of it. The pale mint green lunules - Pacman shaped things on the edge of her hindwings - are diagnostic of spicebush swallowtails.

Earlier in the year, I was thinking about digging up the lantana, because it wasn't blooming. It must have known, because it's been in bloom ever since!

Sherry

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting