SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queerbychoice

good plants for seasonally poor drainage?

queerbychoice
15 years ago

My fiancee and I are renting a place in the northern Sacramento Valley, and we're allowed to garden in it. However, the drainage in the winter is atrocious. I already dug a drainage ditch from the back yard out to the street, but this has only improved the situation to the point that now, after a heavy rainstorm, the back yard is almost entirely underwater for about four days (rather than three weeks, as was previously the case). The soil is the heaviest clay imaginable, and we're surrounded by rice fields.

I would like to know what plants (other than rice!) I can grow in these conditions. I had been hoping for a native plant garden, but most natives can't handle the amount of standing water we have in the winter. My deergrass, Santa Barbara sedge, and Ithuriel's spear (all monocots) are the only plants that are really doing well in the low-lying areas. California golden poppies are doing all right around the edges, on very slightly higher ground. Coffeeberry is drowning even on the higher ground. I'm willing to consider non-natives to supplement these. However, I also have these requirements:

* I don't want to have to water very much in the summer

* the back yard is all in full sun, with 100-degree temperatures much of the summer and reflected sun from a white south-facing wall

* the yard is too small for trees or large shrubs

* I would very much prefer perennials over annuals

* I don't want to plant invasive weeds

I thought maybe some of you could suggest something that would work. I realize that I'm basically trying to garden in a vernal pool, but vernal pool plants are practically impossible to find for sale, and even if I could find them, they'd only look good for a few months and then die off for the rest of the year. I think I'm on the right track with grasses, sedges, and lilies, because they're surviving so far when nothing else is. But they all have essentially the same, grasslike foliage, providing no significant contrast to each other. I'd like to have at least a little foliage that isn't grasslike. Can anyone recommend other plants I could mix in?

Comments (5)