SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarav2003

Aloe - One brown leaf / Two new Cactus

sarav2003
15 years ago

I need some help with my aloe plant. I'm a first time Aloe owner, and I'm having some difficulty.

I bought my plant a few weeks back and I immediately repotted it into a larger pot with potting soil. I read online that this is not the preferred soil, but I figured I should wait a while before moving it again, figuring IÂd let it settle first. Last week I noticed that the tip of one leaf was browning. So, I went out and bought some Cactus Soil (after reading that this is the preferred soil), and repotted it (in the same pot). I did not cut off this leaf because I wasnÂt really sure if I should cut if off or not. Now this leaf seems to be curling in, and I believe this one leaf is dead. The rest of the plant is very green and the middle parts seem to be growing. IÂm careful to water the plant only when the soil is dry (and after repotting last Saturday, I havenÂt watered it yet). IÂm concerned with the amount of sunlight it is getting (because we donÂt have a whole lot of sun available to us in Newfoundland), but IÂm hoping to get it outside in the sun once the weather starts to brighten up.

So, here are my questions. Do you think my entire Aloe is dead, or just that one leaf? There seemed to be some roots when I repotted it, but they are in the shape of the original pot that I bought it in. Should I cut off this leaf to prevent any further dying?

Also, last night I bought two new plants. Both are from the Cactus/Succulent family. One is a "Fairy Castle" cactus (complete with glued on pink flowers) and IÂm not sure the name of the other kind. I know these little guys have to be watered similar to the aloe. My question here is, is there anything special I should do before replanting? I have cactus soil, as you know, and I read online that I should replant it in a pot not too much larger then theyÂre already in (which helps to prevent over watering). Does this all seem right to you?

Sorry for the long post, but itÂs been a busy plant week for me!

Comments (7)