SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davissue_zone9

faq for peonies

davissue_zone9
16 years ago

Since we seem to be getting a lot of questions about peonies lately, I thought I'd post a faq for them- here's what I have so far, anybody want to add something before I upload it? Sue

A frequent question to the forum is if itÂs possible to grow peonies in mild climate California. I researched the topic and this seems to be the general consensus-

Yes, it is possible to herbaceous peonies in northern California. They may not grow as tall, or be as floriferous as they would in a cold climate, but they will persist and routinely bloom. I could find no success stories for herbaceous peonies in southern California.

One limiting factor is winter chill requirements. The generally accepted figure for sufficient winter chill for herbaceous peonies is four hundred hours, although I saw mention of 100 to300 hours in a couple of articles.. You can look up your average winter chill at this website: http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/chillcalc/index1.htm. The second limiting factor is summer heat, especially where it gets hot early in the year.

Cultural tips for successful growth in warm climates were:

Plant so the roots are one inch or less from the surface of the ground

Partial shade during the hottest part of the day

Keep plants moist, but ensure good drainage

The most successful herbaceous varieties for mild climates are early blooming double-flowered peonies and any single-flowered and Japanese types. Late blooming double peonies are at risk of never opening due to heat. The peony variety most likely to succeed is old and easily found ÂFestiva Maxima with fragrant, large, early white double flowers with crimson flecks. Other varieties that have been found tolerant of Northern CA are:

'CHARLIE'S WHITE' has creamy white double

'CLAIRE DE LUNE' bears ivory-yellow, 4-inch-wide single

'CORAL CHARM' bears glowing coral to peach semidouble

'CORAL SUPREME' has lush pink, almost iridescent semidouble blossoms

'EVENTIDE' bears coral to pink cup-shaped single flowers 6 inches

'LATE WINDFLOWER' has masses of white, 31/2-inch-wide single flowers

'MISS AMERICA' bears white semidouble flowers 4 to 6 inches

'MRS. FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT' has soft, pale pink double flowers 4 to 5 inches across

'RED CHARM' produces dark red, 5- to 6-inch-wide double flowers

'ROSELETTE' bears clear pink single flowers, 5 to 6 inches wide, with crinkly petals

Also 'Doreen', 'Fairy's Petticoat', 'Krinkled White', 'Mons. Jules Elie', 'Richard Carvel', and 'Toro-No-Maki'.

'Do Tell', 'Abalone Pearl', ÂKansas and ÂSilver Dawn Mix have been found successful in the southern united states, and might be worth a try.

Comment (1)