SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrcagle

All the leaves are brown... (my depressing garden)

jrcagle
16 years ago

We've got drought conditions here in MD, and my garden shows it.

Well, it's not all bad news. Highlights so far:

* The Asclepia tuberosa is thriving. No monarch hits so far, but my first record from last year is 7/25, so no worries yet.

* The dill managed to self-seed a bit. Waiting for Black Swallowtail hits.

* The cosmos, coreopsis, and coneflower look good, and I've gotten a whole crowd of skippers on them, as well as variegated frits.

* The plumbago is doing particularly well. It attracted some silver-spot skippers *and* (a gorgeous black Tiger Sw. yesterday!)

* Both the hops vine and the pipevine are coming along, supplemented by the watering can.

* I got a bonus Banded Hairstreak on my sedum one morning. :)

OK, so it's not all bad. But now:

* NONE of the seeds I planted came up. That's with as much water as I could give. Not the sweet peas, not the black-eyed susans, not the yellow coneflower. The only new plants that made it were ones that I started in planters.

* The salvia guaranitica from last year didn't return -- we're on the edge of the perennial boundary, and we had a really cold week in February. So I ordered some salvia nemorosa; of the six plants, only two made it the first week. Both of those have been ravaged by an unknown predator, perhaps deer.

* Of the six virginia snakeroot planted last fall, only one made it through the winter -- the others mysteriously disappeared. The survivor was growing well until we went on vacation this week. When I came back, *POOF*, it was gone. Not even the stub of a stem. Grrr....

* Garlic mustard has invaded underneath my Leland cypress trees. *sigh*.

* Speaking of Lelands, mine have an incurable fungus. That's a different forum, though. :)

* The weeds don't seem to know that there's a drought on.

* All of the beds look generally ratty. I really identified with the post that started "My garden is an eyesore..."

Ah well. Thanks for listening. It'll be better next year when El Nino isn't suppressing the rainfall.

Jeff

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville