SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amunk01

Newbie needs help, my first cactus (ever) is sick?

amunk01
11 years ago

Hi, Im new to cacti although I have always been fascinated. I've had this unidentified cactus (was a gift) for 1.5yrs, and I'm concerned about its health! A little info- I water it once or twice a month, & have never seen any parasites (and I look!). It is indoors all the time in a south-facing window (i do turn it every so often). Once I noticed discolored flesh/scabs/holes?, I bought a book on cacti/succulents, repotted it to check roots (no rot that I can tell) & pot-up. I have noticed a few things of possible concern. 1. My plant's skin is discolored in 2 valleys, kind of yellowing/sickly green?. 2. Multiply dry scabby-looking spots randomly placed, small to silver dollar size? Sunburn? 3. There are two little holes! Near the base, pencil-lead size? 4. One scabby spot looks like its growing mold?! I am going to post a picture of each issue with corresponding number for each issue listed. The picture posted is just for size reference (if someone can identify the species thats great too!) Any advice/diagnosis is greatly appreciated! This cactus is very important to me! Thank you!

Comments (11)