SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molanic

Can't keep up with Monarchs!

molanic
13 years ago

I think maybe one of my released monarchs told all his friends about how much milkweed we have. Or maybe we just have a few lady butterflies that have been very busy! I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment with monarch eggs and cats. At first it was pretty exciting finding all those eggs. Now I'm not even looking for them, but every time I bring in milkweed to feed the cats I already have... there are more eggs on it that I feel I "have to save" :)

I started off pretty organized with a bunch of containers and even a log of what cats I had and what dates they hatched, pupated, and eclosed. Now, I am scrambling to find more containers and keep up with feeding and cleaning up frass.

I did get a large mesh enclosure (4' high, 2x2' base) that I had outside with a large pot of tropical milkweed in it. I thought that low maintenance idea would be my solution. The first batch of cats I put in there pretty much decimated all the milkweed by the time they were done. Some also mysteriously disappeared. I fear they may have crawled off the milkweed and into the reservoir hole for the self watering pot the milkweed was in. Even with that self watering feature I still had to fill it with water at least once a day due to the heat. Also, if a cat decides to pupate on the enclosure zipper I can't get in there.

I'm so glad I planted that "weedy and invasive" common milkweed, because it seems to grow fast and large enough to keep up with the current demand. I also have swamp milkweed, tropical milkweed, and butterfly weed (tuberosa). They don't seem interested in the butterfly weed at all anymore since I got the other kinds though. It does seem less juicy I guess :)

Anybody have any tips for how to care for large numbers of cats and eggs at different stages that is lower maintenance, but still keeps them healthy. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH