SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaga_gw

`Broms in the Park' - Plants- part 3 of 3

jaga
16 years ago

Hi all, as promised close up of some choice plants at `Broms in the Park' for your viewing.

This is our haul

{{gwi:513442}}

The new vrieseas releases - from dark to light

The `Autumn Blaze' (intense magenta with dark red gyphics in real life)

{{gwi:513443}}

{{gwi:513448}}

Shots of `'autumn blaze at night- see it beam!

{{gwi:513452}}

{{gwi:513457}}

Here's the `Spring Flame' (intense amber/red color with brown gyphics)

{{gwi:513460}}

A light one fror contrast `Autumn Hybrid'

{{gwi:513463}}

So it seems the focus is on colors this time

Comments (12)

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

Wow! Those red Vr. are unbelievable!

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Jaga, those vrieseas are beautiful, but Autumn Blaze is spectacular! Who is that Neo in the centre?

• neonut
    16 years ago

Hi Jaga,

I don't think I have seen a vriesea that appeals to me more than Autumn Blaze. I will be on the lookout for one when they reach Australia.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Autumn Blaze is a winner, alright! Do you know the parents?

• jaga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all, Japie, yes they are amazing and we count our selves lucky to have access to these beauties. The varigated neo's are N. Yin ( in middle) which we successfully bid for at auction and the other is N. 'Bars n strips'. Lisa we dont know.

• kerry_t_australia
    16 years ago

John and Agatha,
    Now that I have managed to scrape my jaw off the ground, and sit comfortably at the puter, I can thank you for sharing all 3 glorious postings of your recent trip to paradise.

Is Andrew Maloy partnered? Heterosexual? .......hmmm.... oh that's right, I have a partner.....sorry my dear.

Autumn Blaze, with Pacific Blush, is now equal first on my lust list. All of Maloy's hybrids are magnificent. Your haul looks pretty spectacular as well - mind me asking how much all up? And why only eight plants? I suppose you already have so many broms in your collection, but with that type of temptation, readily accessible or not, I could not help myself from buying as many as possible! But then the family must eat.
    Do you know if Andrew Maloy or Peter Coyle is going to register the Pacific series? When I looked into the cultivar database on the BSI website for Maloy's hybrids, I saw that the Kiwi series was hybridised by N. Scotting, and named* by A. Maloy. Then for the Tasman series, the hybridiser is listed as A. Maloy "et al" (Scotting?), and naming by P. Coyle.* Does Maloy do the actual crossing, and grow the seedlings, or does he pass on the seed to Peter Coyle for him to grow the seedlings, and also name them?
    I'm a bit confused, as I thought if a brom was included in the cultivar registry database, with acknowledgement of hybridiser, and parentage included if known (of course, preferable), then that was evidence of registration. Yet the Kiwi series, under the 'registered' category, says NO, but they DO have registration numbers - can someone fill me in? I owe Uncle Derek an email, so I should ask him.

Nitty-gritty aside, thanks again John and Agatha for the magnificent postings.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• jaga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Kerry, we have to be restrained due to lack of space- also more will be coming as long as we keep Andrew & Rhonda (wife, Kerry:>)happy. The vriseas average about $40 each, so might be worth your while to get yourself a biosecurity cert & come over!!! Some brom nuts here do that for a few precious neos from Australia.
    Below is an article on the Kiwi series by Andrew Maloy extracted from the NZ bromeliad journal in Aug 2004, which might answer some of your questions. Yes it would be nice oif he registered more of their plants as they're really worth it.
    {{gwi:513466}}
    {{gwi:513469}}

• bob740
    16 years ago

Beautiful plants and photography,John.
    I'ts a good thing I don't have access to those vrieseas,because I'd be broke!
    Thanks for the group of 3 postings,very entertaining.
    Bob

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

I'm surprised he didn't get started until the mid 90s. Since it can take 5 years or longer from seed to flowering plant I would have thought he'd been at it much longer!

• sander_s
    16 years ago

WOW
    Make seeds!!
    You know where to send them....:-)

Sander

• kerry_t_australia
    16 years ago

Thanks John and Agatha, that article was very interesting and explains a lot. Interestingly, those 2 vrieseas photographed - Kiwi Sunset and Kiwi Cream - are 2 of the 3 hybrids here in Australia via tissue culture. The brom-growers group who imported them are hoping to release them in Cairns next June at the World Brom Conference.
    Lisa - tissue culture might explain the rapid reproduction?

Am starting to think about your suggestion to get a biosecurity cert and come on over...........I have never been to N.Z., but have always wanted to. hmm.....maybe?

I'm off to Brisbane this arvo for a few days. First stop to a large printers to check on the proof prints of my brom art cards, which if O.K., will be printed on Monday -with me overseeing the print run - very exciting! A first for me.
    Then tomorrow morning, bright and early, I head for the Mt Cootha, Qld. soc. Spring Brom Show - on which Phee posted info, in a previous posting. It will be a happy reunion for many brom friends, and survival of the fittest at the sales!
    Then on Sunday I am revisiting Margaret and Bill Paterson in Gympie - wonderful people. Margaret has hybridised many beautiful tillandsias, cryptanthus, and neoregelias over many years - and her newest neos are absolutely gorgeous. So another big few days all brom related.

Better get ready!

Cheers,
    Kerry.

• jaga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kerry,
    Photos please of your exciting excursion- good luck with the brom sales; hope you get the best goodies. Good luck also with your brom cards. In NZ the Kiwi Dusk (one of our absolute favourites), Cream & Sunset are the only tissue cultured plants so far. They were released last year.
    Hope you make it to NZ some time. Unfortunately we are not going to the world conference in Cairns- we would love to but too much else on

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions