SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Hurricane Ike

beachplant
15 years ago

The broms took a terrible beating. We had 4' of salt water in the yard for 24-36 hours. We had taken down all the plants to prevent them from blowing away. Noone ever expected salt flooding, my neighborhood hasn't flooded since 1900. All but the queens tears, fingernail and a couple of other common ones are dead. Every single variegated of any variety is gone. Superfireball survived, it was in a pot attached to the fence, fireball just underneath it, dead. All my big specimens in the garden, dead. Some I think even floated off! All the tillands dead. It might have helped if we could have gotten to them and flushed out the salt and debris but the city wouldn't let any residents back of the island for 2 weeks.

The island is primarily brown right now. Almost all the oleanders took a terrible beating and a lot are dead or dying. The city and state are trying to save the oaks on Broadway-they were planted after the city was raised after the 1900 storm. Palms did fine. Magnolias-lots of dead ones. Every avocado that I now about is dead. All the rare fruit trees died. Most of the citrus did OK. Annuals and a lot of perennials are also dead.

The hospital remains closed and they may lay off about 4,000 people and close about 3/4 of the beds. The city is laying off people. A lot of business' are closed and will not reopen-Blockbuster, the Yacht Club, restaurants, theatres, schools..... The island is a disaster zone & in some ways is getting worse. There are large areas without power. Only about 50% of the population has returned. 80% of homes were damaged, there are a lot that are just gone. The end of the Seawall collapsed.

Tally HO!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions