SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lopaka_mikale

Foliar feeding?

lopaka_mikale
15 years ago

Does anyone folair feed their Brugs? I am getting ready to do my Plumerias with Spray n Grow, mixed with Coco Wet and fertilizer. Would this be a good idea for the Brugs?

Bob

Comments (22)

• byrd4460
    15 years ago

Bob

I use the same mixture for my plummies.

But i use regular miracle grow for my Brugs.

Chocolate Brug

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

I use that on my plumies and brugs equally. Works well on roses too.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I use the Spray n Grow trio on everything.

• technodweeb
    15 years ago

I have the MOST nasty "compost tea" recipe I can post. But it really works GREAT.

But, I have to tell you. . .don't GO anwhere after you spray it without showering first.

People near you in the store, you suddenly realize they're going (sniff!)(sniff!) and moving away from you.

Ok, not that I would know mind you. . . .(yeaaaaaaaaa rawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwight)

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Post the recipe! The stores are too crowded as it is. Anything that helps me get to the front of the line, I'm all over it! ;-)

• technodweeb
    15 years ago

ok, gimme a sec to find it. Need to make a new batch anyway.

A shame to use my good Killian's in it, but it's worth it.

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

As they say... "never use a wine to cook with that you wouldn't drink yourself"

The same goes for plants, with all they give you in return, don't you think they deserve to drink only the best?

• technodweeb
    15 years ago

Ha, but my Killians? Comonnnnnnnnn. . .my Killians? (grin)

Here - it's also posted at Houston Gardening - copied and pasted right off their web site:

---------------------

Foliar recipe for cuttings:

Now, I have not used this recipe, but many folks raising brugs use this on their brug cuttings with reportedly great effects.

2 cups water
    1 12 oz can of beer
    1/2 cup household ammonia (NOT the soap kind)
    1 cup Epsom salt
    12 drops Tea Tree oil (to help fight fungus)
    1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
    1/4 cup liquid seaweed (Kelp) - I swap the fish emulsion kelp mixture

Directions, use 1 tablespoon of solution per gallon of water, foliar spray. Shelf life of solution is unknown

-------------

I've used it and it works GREAT! Can't remember who posted it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houston Gardening

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

I might even sacrifice a Guinness for my brugs... but then again....

I just had a mental image of me in a bar brawl with a brug over the last bottle of Guinness... I think I need a vacation!

• technodweeb
    15 years ago

LOL Ryan.

Actually, it makes this weird brownish mix. If you don't use the kelp/fish emulsion, and just stick with the kelp seawead, it doesn't smell that bad.

I swapped in the kelp/fish and that's what made it stink. But I'll tell you what, the brugs? They get nutty.

It could be because they are starved anyway in the peat? But I used siberhskymike's recipe for that when i put the peat together.

In either case, foliar AND soil feed. They like it. It's not high enough horse power for during growing season, but it works great for foliar feeding. I suppose if you upped the concentration you could use it. I just find the peters or schultz food works great.

Just makes the ROOM smell bad. (grin)

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

I use the straight fish emulsion as a foliar feed. I put it in the dial sprayer and attack the entire yard with it. Roses, plumeria, brugs, Japanese maples, and on and on... even bring the house plants out for a shower in it. Although I have to leave them outside for a few days to air out before coming back indoors. The stuff I use has all the natural fish oils and collagen in it, so it STICKS to everything, makes everything a greasy mess. But the plants sure do love it!

• technodweeb
    15 years ago

Ohhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn. . . .haaa, I used to use that in California.

I like the seawead stuff. Use that at "half and half" and pour a little into the potted plants, with the tired soil, and BOOM, fixes it right up.

Fish emulsion IS great, but . . .but. . .dayyyyaaammmm, the STINK.

I'm going to go with that this year, and see how they do. Rather than the shultz or peters.

I'm trying to get away from Miracle Grow, that salt mechanism is just awful in pots. Jams up the soil something awful and then I end up having to do a huge rinse soak to clean it out.

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay... so I guess what you are all saying, is that foliar feeding is good for the Brugs. Wow! Thanks for all the good advice. Since I don't drink, Techno, will my non-alcoholic beer work? Haha!

Bob

• technodweeb
    15 years ago

The Tea Tree oil is available at walgreens. Look for the funky display of "homeopathic" stuff. . .alphabetical.

It's a little box, orange and green.

The unsulfured Molassis is at the grocery store. WHY, I don't know.

Who would USE that? It comes out of the jar looking like USED MOTOR OIL.

All of it easily found at your local stores.

Eeesh. . . .

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Bob, just remember, with any foliar feed, the best uptake occurs from the undersides of leaves.

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Karyn, do you like the Spray-n-grow trio? Does it make a big difference? I was reading about it on QVC and there were mixed reviews. I don't know if I want to go with this or a different foliar feed.

Bob, let us know how the spray-n-grow works for you.

Shawn

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Shawn I like the Spray n Grow trio a lot. I don't know that it's better then other foliar feeds but I'll stick with it. I also spray stuff like kelp extract, fish emulsion, Thrive Alive, almost anything I use in the soil I also spray on the foliage. I buy my SnG from New England Hydroponics. Once you buy from them they start sending you discount coupons.

Here is a link that might be useful: NEHydro

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link, Karyn! They have a great price on the hydroton I use for growing Amaryllis. Will also be a great resource when I set up my aquaponic system (hydroponic system tied into my fish pond).

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Now I can go home and mix up smelly stuff, try to figure out how to make a hyrdroponic system tied to the pond we're digging.....

I'm going in search of the ingredients next day I'm off.
    Tally HO!

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Can anyone give me a few brand names for kelp extract? When I do a google search it brings up health supplements, I imagine this is not the same stuff you use on plants?
    Shawn

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

The stuff I use is Organic Gem. Has fish and kelp in it. www.organicgem.com The brugs have gone nuts for it so far this year.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Shawn I buy just about any brand of kelp extract. Almost all companies that make organic plant food have one either listed as kelp or seaweed. I don't think there's much of a difference between them. Ryan I really like NEHydro and have been buying from them for a few years. They ship quick and their prices are reasonable. I get coupons emailed to me every few months for either a % or a specific amount off.