SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaclv

It's not always about bromeliads....

LisaCLV
17 years ago

I know some of you like succulents and caudiciforms. I was asked to help judge the CSSH's exhibit at the HOS orchid show this weekend. I went down before the show opened, and was able to get a few pictures of the plants on display, as well as some of the orchids too. Some are a bit blurry, I apologize.

Just to keep it kosher, there were a few bromeliads, starting with the obligatory Deuterocohnia:

{{gwi:469289}}

I don't remember which sp. of Tillandsia this is, but it was very well-grown:

{{gwi:508842}}

I'm not sure what Neo. johannis was doing there, but it had good color:

{{gwi:508848}}

We all liked Sansevieria 'Twisted Sister":

{{gwi:508851}}

Obregonia and Astrophytums:

{{gwi:508854}}

A collection of Dorstenias:

{{gwi:508856}}

and Dorstenia gigas:

{{gwi:508858}}

I would have liked to have given that last one something just for being such a Holy Grail plant, but it was in an ugly plastic 1 gallon pot, and that's just not acceptable for show. Besides, it had some stiff competition in the caudiciform category, like this Jacaratia:

{{gwi:508861}}

Jacaratia is a relative of the papaya, and the female plants bear cute little pink and green papaya-like fruits. This one wasn't bearing, and I don't know if it's a male or female. The guy sitting under it is male! Bob, you asked me about black cinder, that's the top-dressing on this one.

Another caudiciform that none of us, including the grower, know the name of, but it appears to be Fabaceae, possibly a Bauhinia? Stephania, do you recognize this one?:

{{gwi:508864}}

Comments (12)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals
More Discussions