SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

Just got a great book : The Bromeliad Lexicon

stephania
17 years ago

On Sunday, I visited one of my friend house, he was a bromeliad collector decade ago,

but he had given up for years. Anyway, he still have some plants in his garden.

He gave me some cute bromeliads that he got from Pineapple Place,

Neo. puntatissima 'Emy' and some strange Tillandsias,

but the most exciting for me, he gave me a great book

that I've been looking for for long time,

The Bromeliad Lexicon by Werner Rauh

With a surprise, I just noticed that on the jacket cover is the pic of the blooming Orthophytum rubrum that I really love.

{{gwi:508214}}

Comments (34)

• foxwichya
    17 years ago

What else does it have??? Any other goodies on the inside? I cant find a book with at least one whole page for Dyckia. No one cares about spiny.

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Is this the same book that was previously just called "Bromeliads"? The cover art is the same. If so, it is more Tillandsias than anything else. If that's your thing it is well worth having, and there are some interesting pics and botanical descriptions of other species too. Not too many Neos, though.

• Related Discussions

A lexicon of repeat flowering roses

Q

Comments (28)
    I looked up Cadwell's Pink in QR and it wasn't there nor under it's other name, Pink Pet. A number of American sources but no European. Listed as a Ch, China?, so it may not be hardy here. Lyda Rose also not in QR but a shrub so might be OK here. Hybridized by Lettunich and introduced in 1994 which might be why it's not in QR. This past summer the roses that have been the most continuous have seen Elmshorn, Elveshorn, Knirps (truly continuous)and Robusta. The two E's are never mentioned here and Knirps, a small ground cover, is apparently unknown. Robusta is grown more widely as it is z4 hardy and a brilliant red. BS is a problem especially this wet year. Hardiness of course is a main issue here so such truly continuouse bloomers, at least from what I read, the teas and china's, are just not in the cards. There are many roses that bloom in flushes, not surprising since new flowers require new growth. Then there is the matter of disbudding. I've done very little of that as I find it difficult to keep up with normal chores with roses. Supposedly it promotes better bloom. If that is so I wonder if my two E's bloom better since they naturally disbud, in other words they don't form hips. The remnant of the flower just falls off like the petals. Makes a clean look at all times and possibly helps with rebloom.
    ...See More

New Bromeliad book

Q

Comments (15)
    $29.00 for shipping? Thats extreme, I would hope they will figure it out. I'll keep checking Fetchbook, I might not get an autographed copy, but I don't care. I have quite a few autographed books and the only ones that really mean anything to me are the ones from the authors I know personally.
    ...See More

Blooming Bromeliads...the book for sale

Q

Comments (5)
    I'd say 35.oo, and I got mine free. Here's a good one to watch out for: "Bromeliads" by Francisco Oliva-Esteve hard back 14x10 comes in about 8 pounds; list a year ago at $135.00 Also "The Book of Bromeliads and Hawaiian Tropical Flowers" by Ronald W. Parkhurst-Hanalei Nursery. Blooming Bromeliads(Banesh i belive) has been out for quite a long time but still one of the best. Here is a link that might be useful: http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q300/Johnalewis74_photos/
    ...See More

Those books I got at the estate sale

Q

Comments (11)
    This is great and a time consuming task. Perhaps to make it easier for you, why need just group them into afghans/baby/holiday/assorted or whatever and then see what the postage would be to ship 5 or 6. Then, offer them as "bundles" to people and let them be surprised. Just a suggestion to make your life easier.
    ...See More
  • stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm not sure if the book is the new edition of the one you mentioned, Lisa,
    but this book has 431 pages; with B&W illustrations and
    sketches also some color plates , giving a great knowledge on Bromeliad world.

The content comprises of 9 chapters within two parts.
    {{gwi:508215}}

Among the great stories of Tillandsia which take up 3/4 room,
    there are also the spiny subjects as our interest, Foxwichya !!!
    {{gwi:508217}}

This illustration could tell us more details, inside of the Dyckia flower's structure.
    {{gwi:508218}}

Some color plate of beautiful Tillandsias.
    {{gwi:508219}}

There is also an idea of window sill for a small Bromeliad collection.
    {{gwi:508220}}

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

I think that book was originally published in 1979 was translated and published in english in 1990

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Yes, that is the same book that I have, except that mine is titled BROMELIADS - For Home, Garden and Greenhouse. I bought mine on a trip to England about 25 years ago. It wasn't available in the US until shortly thereafter, but according to my copy the original German version, BROMELIEN, was published (in two parts) in 1970 and '73, and translated into English in '79.

Werner Rauh is known for his work with succulents as well as bromeliads. In case you didn't know, the genus Werauhia is named for him.

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The same day I got the book, my german friend sent me a massage that
    he will be in Bangkok again for an earthquake & tsunami metting,
    and he will bring me some xeric broms, among the list he mentioned,
    there would be a Pitcairnia heterophylla, a dimorphic brom
    that I really want to have for long time.

I found there is an illustration with colour plate of this remarkble plant in the book too.
    {{gwi:508221}}

{{gwi:508222}}

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There is a B/W plate showing the world biggest vs smallest bromelids.
    Actually, I would like to try the both records in my collection ;-)
    but have no idea where do I optain and if I do,
    I'm not sure if I could keep them which came from a very high altitude.
    {{gwi:508224}}

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Makes my fingertips hurt just looking at it, LOL!

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

That last comment was in regards to pokey pokey Pit. heterophylla. You keep sneaking up on me, Stephania!

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL... :-))
    Lisa, have you ever used or grow some species of Pitcairnia for cut flower ?
    I have a big clump of P. flammea, the plant look very striking when blooming
    and it has a long stem with very long lasting.

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Also look up on the plate 130, P. nigra, a verey awesome Pit.
    I think, I will ask my friend to find this species for me from some sources in EU too.

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

No, I haven't grown many Pits, Stephania. If any are good flower producers and long-lasting cuts I would be interested in trying them, though. I like the P. nigra shape better that the loose-flowered ones.

Generally the ones with plain green grassy leaves don't interest me much otherwise. I do have a P. burlemarxii, and a friend gave me a nice hybrid Pit or Pepinia with red leaves on the underside, but she lost the tag, so I don't know which one it is.

There was a very nice Pepinia auctioned off at the '96 World Conference, which brought the second-highest amount of money after Ae. tayoensis. It had the same form and leaf shape as Ae. tayoensis and Bromelia scarlatina, but I can't remember the name. For some reason FCBS doesn't list any Pepinias. Is this still a valid genus, or did they get thrown back into Pitcairnia?

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I had read somewhere, in 1988 subgenus Pepinia was recognized as a genus by some splitters, then year later some lumpers include them in Pitcairnia again !!!

• bob740
    17 years ago

Stephania,in that first b/w plate,it shows #252,D.cineria.
    I could find nothing on that name,and I'm wondering if that was a name given before it became
    D.marnier-lapostollei,which it looks so much like.
    D.braunii looks quite similar,but not exactly.
    What do you think?
    Bob

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Bob, me too, but I found a plant name Dyckia cinerea,
    named by Carl Christian Mez (1866-1944) in
    Flora Brasiliensis (Martius) 3(3): 469. in the year1894.

And Dyckia marnier-lapostollei was name by Lyman Bradford Smith,(1904-1997) in Bromel. Soc. Bull. xvi. 102 (1966)

So I'm not sure if Prof. Rauh missed identifying the plant or D.cinerea might be really look alike, or even they would be synonym.

I saw some where, there is an article on Dyckia marnier-lapostollei in a recently CSSA journal (1st of this year) may be you could find a data at BBG libary, and if you find, could you please post the article for our study here, too.

For a 'Holy Grail' D. braunii, my good friend from Germany has a chance to contact someone who has the plant that could give some seeds for us soon.

• bob740
    17 years ago

OK,Stephania,I'll check the library at the bbg.I don't know if they have a cssa membership,but if not,perhaps some of my friends there may have one.
    I have been thinking of joining for a few years now,but never acted on it.I guess I'm afraid I'll get too interested in cacti,and really clean out my savings ;)
    Good news on the D.braunii seeds! hope it works out.
    Bob
    ps: could'nt resist posting some Cacti pics
    {{gwi:508227}}

{{gwi:508230}}

{{gwi:508233}}

{{gwi:508236}}

{{gwi:508237}}

{{gwi:508238}}
    There's a bromeliad in there somewhere,can you find it?

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

hmmmm... Bob I didnt see one brom LOL

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmmm...I guess in the last pic, there is a xeic brom in front of the big green Aloe pot, a Hechtia...or Puya ?

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

yeah looks one of both silver and together LOL

• Patris
    17 years ago

Oh my gosh heaven for me. Love all the cactus! I could spend days in there picking and choosing. If you want to get a start I can help you there. I have a few cactus beauties to share with you. Great pictures Bob.

I can see why the aec. tayoensis would bring top dollar. That is one gorgeous and unusual plant. The flower looks like a Dalhia. A must have for any collector!

• pengoff
    17 years ago

Stephania:

Rauh points out that D. cinerea and D. marnier-lapostollei look very much alike and says D. cinerea is probably the most attractive dyckia.

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

I'm a member of CSSA, and get the Journal. I don't know if you can read this-- I tried to adjust the brightness and contrast to make it more legible, but I didn't want to turn the photos into black holes either.

{{gwi:508239}}
    {{gwi:508240}}
    {{gwi:508241}}
    {{gwi:508242}}
    {{gwi:508243}}

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

Whoops, I just noticed this is not the one on D marnier-lapostollei!

I found Part 2 in the J-F 2006 issue, but that isn't it either-- it deals with O. horridum, D. paucispina and Bromelia estevesii. Also there's an article on Hechtia glomerata (from Tehuacan-- could that be your plant and my seeds, Bob?). GREAT pictures showing bright red spines! I can scan all of this if you want, but it will take up a lot of space, and meanwhile, I can't seem to find Part 1, which I assume is the one on D. marnier-lapostolle. I seem to vaguely recall an entire issue on succulent bromeliads, maybe that was it.

I'll keep looking, but Stephania, why aren't YOU a member?

• bob740
    17 years ago

Thanks Lisa,for posting the article,and it is very readable.Its odd,but yesterday I was going to post a photo and comment about D.goehringii,[mostly for'spiney'admirers],but did'nt get around to it.And here it is in this article.Nice timing!
    And pengoff,thanks for the info on the look-alikes.
    There are some excellent photos on this Brazilian website.
    cactos.com.br....click on bromeliads,and sub headings;bromelia,dyckia,encholirium,orthophytum.
    Great photography,and also shows D.goehringii there among many others.
    Stephania,you need to do an article on the Brazilian MG,and you need an assistant to take notes,and collect plants. [me]
    Bob

• bob740
    17 years ago

Good eye guys...The small broms are Tillandsias plumosa,and fasciculata,as located by Stephania.
    [those token broms make this cacti posting ligitimate] ;-)
    Bob
    PS: Lisa,maybe you could start a new thread for part two,being lenghty and all. Would like to see it
    Note to self: Must Join CSSA.
    Bob

• bob740
    17 years ago

Dang! correction....Not fasciculata,its Xerographica,and Plumosa.
    Bob

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

I found the right one. I'll start another thread.

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Pengoff, I see, so I think we might have two species,
    D. cinerea and D. marnier-lapostollei, in trade, as I saw somewhere in other forum
    which had mentioned a plant look alike but with different inflorescences structures.
    Anyway, as we know, there are a great variation among the species themself.
    In my collection, one would be deceived that there were a dozen species!!!

Thanks Lisa, nice to see those plants in their habitat, especially that striking
    Orthophytum burle-marxii which I just got a small pup from Michael's Bromeliads
    last two month and it's growing well so does its var.

Bob..pack your luggage ! we will explore Cerrado plain right ;-))

• stephania
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey spiny fans...due to my doubt about a pic of Dyckia cineria in the book, so I asked the curator of Heidelberg Botanical Garden, Timm Stolten to solve this topic.

Then he tried to help me and just got a quick reply from Derek Butcher.

Uncle Derek reminded him that exactly this subject was discussed in an old BSI article (J.Brom Soc. 45: 117. 1995) by Harry E. Luther wrote:

"...When Can A Picture Be Trusted?

A recent comparison of Dyckia marnier-lapostollei with Dyckia cinerea made me think at first that it was a valid attempt based on the published work of authorities, but then I did a little research that I shall describe.
    The problems associated with cultivated Dyckia marnier-lapostollei and D. cinerea result from the condition that they are probably the same thing. Note that I say "cultivated." This is a horticultural identification problem and not a taxonomic problem in the strict sense.
    Real Dyckia cinerea is probably not in cultivation, at least in the United States, unless it has very recently come in as wild collections from Caraga or vicinity. I have not seen any.

I have a photograph of the type specimen of D. cinerea (Glaziou 18570 at Berlin) that portrays a plant very different from D. marnier-lapostollei. The leaves are much longer, relatively narrower with much more laxly arranged, generally shorter spines. The scape is very much more robust; the inflorescence appears more densely flowered than any D. marnierlapostollei. The specimen is only a fragment but I suspect that the overall appearance of this species is quite different from D. marnier-lapostollei as well.
    So what's the problem? Why any confusion? To find out, look at the black and white photo in Dr. Werner Rauh's BROMELIADS, the 1979 English edition, or in the later, reprinted edition BROMELIAD LEXICON, between pages 290-291, illustration 252. See the Dyckia cinerea?

**Get our your pencil. It's really a Dyckia marnier-lapostollei. The identification was corrected in the later German edition of BROMELIEN but not brought to the attention of English-only readers.**

If there are any questions about "big" Dyckia marnier-lapostollei, consider the culture involved. The type specimen, which can be seen in the photos in the protologue, appears to be in a very small, perhaps four-inch pot. Most of us now grow these things with much more root room. Was the type specimen "bonsaied"? Are our robust specimens normal?

Eight or so years ago, I saw a few freshly collected plants that were at least 50% larger than what was reported in the literature. I'm sure that size can vary somewhat so this characteristic should not be cause for undue suspicion.
    If any one has living material that he or she is sure is Dyckia cinerea let me know. I will be glad to try to verify it..."

So everything is clear...;-)

• bob740
    17 years ago

Good job of fact finding Stephania.
    No wonder Dr.Rauh thinks 'they look a lot alike'...they were the same species.That was a very interesting explanation of the misnamed picture.
    When I first saw the b/w pic,I thought,'how can that be a different dyckia species when its a double for D.ML'? Maybe the flowering is different,but then it cound have been a D.ML variation .
    So now we know,thanks to Stephania,who could'nt sleep until he found out the truth.
    Good man!
    Bob

• User
    17 years ago

Bob, are you sure that one plant is plumosa? Looks more like tectorum, due to it's size. And a P.S. Where can one find a copy of the Lexicon?

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

Push the button gonzer

Here is a link that might be useful: Bromeliad lexicon

• bob740
    17 years ago

Doh!! Double dang....tectorum it is gonzer. Another case of switched tags at the bbg. Good eye.
    [and shame,I have a tectorum at home,and still did'nt pick up on it]
    Bob

• User
    17 years ago

Much obliged hdd!
    Bob, don't sweat the small stuff, I'll post some pics of the myriad of plants in the tectorum complex. Identification can be a pain unless you have SH and Watson by your side.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner