SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwynne2006

My first caterpillar!! And my second, and my third...

gwynne2006
16 years ago

I have seen very few butterflies this season. Six to be exact. Three eastern swallowtails and three I couldnt identify.

I have been going to the nursery where I found all my BST caterpillars last year and have found nothing, no caterpillars, no butterflies flying around the now blooming butterfly bush. I went to another nursery that has half gallon containers of parsley. I thought if I was a butterfly, I would lay all my eggs there. There are a couple dozen of these large pots. I went yesterday and nothing.

Today I stopped by a small nursery that had only a couple of curly parsley plants. I saw four small parsley plants in the back. I was shocked to see an almost grown BST caterpillar on the parsley. This parsley is small and I worried that even at his stage he might not have enough to eat.

I looked around some more and was looking at the coriander or cilantro, not sure which. It is referred to as Chinese parsley on the little name tag. Can anyone tell me if this is a host plant for BSTs? It grows big and could certainly feed several if it is. Anyway, I saw the Chinese parsley, about two or three plants, a couple of boxes over and looked to see if I could find any BST caterpillars. At first I thought I saw one, but on closer inspection, it was actually on a well hidden piece of curly parsley. Momma butterfly found it though! I found two curly parsleys hidden in that box...and five more baby caterpillars! Then when I went back to the first group of four, well only three, as I had taken the one with the big caterpillar, I found another baby caterpillar, bringing the total up to seven. I am simply floored that these nurseries with lots and lots of parsley have no caterpillars and here there are six tiny plants, two hidden, and I found seven caterpillars!

Now I need to get lots more food for them. I like the gallon containers, but I am unsure if the place sprays. There only seems to be kids there and I dont think they really know. The other nursery that is harder for me to get to, where I found all my BSTs last year, does not spray.

Comments (3)

Sponsored