SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lolly318

my first two caterpillars are missing...

16 years ago

First off, I'm a newbie. I planted my first butterfly garden this year. Labor Day weekend I was thrilled to find my first caterpillar! A monarch on a butterfly weed. Then my second, a black swallowtail(?) on parsley. Both were a pretty good size. I then discovered MANY eggs on the butterfly weed along with two or three tiny caterpillars. My garden was a success!

The swallowtail was on a stem low to the ground not moving too much, plenty of "poop" around it. The next day it was gone. I couldn't find anything that looked like a chysalis. There was a bird feather nearby. I assumed a bird was the culprit.

The next day the monarch had made his way to the bottom of the milkweek, seemed lethargic. I came back out 20 minutes later. He too disappeared. I can't find anything that resembles a chrysalis. I have black mulch in the garden. Is it possible that the pupa is that well camouflaged. Or did something come get them both?

Also all of the babies died and many of the eggs look black now. Is this all connected?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (10)

Sponsored