SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meemoo_gw

should i prune this desert rose?

meemoo
17 years ago

hello,

boy, i could spend all day reading the multitude of forums here! there is so much to learn :)

last summer/fall, my beloved but black-thumbed hubbie gave me a little plant he got from Lowes called a Desert Rose. Since having this plant for about 8 or 9 months now, i have done some reading on it and now realize that I shouldn't have freaked out when it lost all its leaves but two over the winter :) So now it is getting some lovely 80F March sunny days here in NC and has two main stems--a short one and a long skinny one (rising about 7 inches above the fork between the two) and they are both putting out tiny new leaves. I know almost nothing about pruning these guys other than to wear gloves and eye protection (I did some googling before posting!)--should I prune off the long lanky stem to encourage branching further down? will this technique even work? i understand I can root the long lanky piece and grow a new plant from it...any guidance would be much appreciated!!!! Also, its potting in a generic potting media--i do have some succulent potting soil lying around the house...should i repot in this? Thanks so much!

Comments (3)