SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klyde_gw

Jade 'Hummel's Sunset'

klyde
11 years ago

Could I just share something with you all? Nobody around here gets it.

Well I've been wanting Jade HS for such a long time now. I'm in Canada, and the only jades I can get locally and for most of this great land, are the large leafed green jades, minima, a boring variegate and arborescens. That. Is. It.

So when I see all those cv's of your jades, well I get so...wistful.

Do you know how much it would cost me to import some of those sweethearts? I gotta feed those two little 'pups' of mine too (sons).

Then I went to my local grocery. They have brought in an order from Altman. There among the lot, was one HS. I just about peed my pants. Just about.

I think I was actually trembling. I held it in my hands and stared for a good 10 mins.

I don't do fancy furniture, jewellery, clothes, travelling, spas...the like. Can't afford it really.

But I do plants you know? Always have.

I just had to share that with someone, cuz the hubbie don't/won/t get it, and the 'pup's' are too busy eating me out of house and home.

Thanks for listening.

PS It is my honest intention to grow that thing as big as I possibly can, given my location, and disburse as many cuttings as possible.

No Canadian (hell anyone) should have to go through this ever again...LOL

Comments (27)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Congrats!
    Please share a pic! I froze my largest 'Hummel's Sunset' a couple weeks ago, and all the leaves and branches are gone. You'd think I'd learn from past mistakes....

Josh

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

Okay...I think you did...but can you confirm ~you actually BOUGHT it, didn't you?! Glad to hear Altmans came through for you.

I feel for ya. Nope. No one should have to go through that...especially about a plant! Congrats on controlling yourself. :P Woohoo on your new gem!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

I do know how you feel. Some times the plant I like they put in a planter box for $20 when it is only one plant that I want. Some times all it takes to make us happy is a little treat in life.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Yay, for you. I've been lusting after a HS, but never dreamed I'd find one locally. I'm going out tomorrow for the search. I think, sometimes, when plants are packed up for non-nurseries, a gem or two can be slipped in. Looks like you found one!

BTW, I probably would have.*
    Gail

*peed in my pants. ;-)

• klyde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I absolutely bought that bad boy. You bet I did.

Then I went and bought $75 bucks worth of other Altman stock. It's gonna be beans on toast for meals next week LOL!

So, is it fair to say that Altman takes, ahhh, liberties with the correct labelling of plants? Or something on that theme?

I will take photos of Hummel as soon as they put on a few leaves and look like something. There were 4 plants in the 4 inch pot, so I split them up.

Just to put it in perspective, a few years ago I imported from our fair neighbors (US) three small ferns. Now that would have cost around $10-$15 for the actual cost of the plants from the grower. By the time I had paid delivery, inspection and customs, it was around $150.

It isn't the cost of the plants that kill you. It's everything else. Then you have to deal with the uncertainty of whether or not it will actually make it through. Also the wait time at the border isn't easy on some plants.

It's criminal people, just criminal.

Don't go lecturing to me now about the whys and reasons. I'm beyond caring.

I can't talk anymore. It's too painful.

(tongue in cheek)

I do have Hummel and Sons to console me through it all now :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

I'm delighted for you, long may your treasure live.

• lme5573
    11 years ago

klyde, I know how you feel. I found my first Hummel's Sunset 2 or 3 weeks ago - I was so excited! I bought an ugly, expensive planter filled with plants I didn't want just to get 4 Jade Hummel's Sunset. They are so dry and puny - but they are MINE and they WILL LIVE. Bwahahaha.
    So yeah, I know how you feel. Congrats!
    Lennie

• seedmoney
    11 years ago

Thanks for making my day....I recently ordered a $12.00 plant I'd been lusting for for years then paid $23.60 to have it shipped to my house. And did it with a smile on my face!
    Klyde, just remember:
    IF MAMA AIN'T HAPPY, NO ONE'S HAPPY

• klyde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"IF MAMA AIN'T HAPPY, NO ONE'S HAPPY"

Okay, I think I may have peed again from laughter.

Whoops, gotta watch that outside voice...

You see. I just knew I was in a safe place and could admit to all sorts of things. For instance:

I went back to the grocery this am and bought 3, yes three, small dish gardens cuz I wanted the one plant in each. Beans are high in fibre, protein, B-vitamins...

Now here's the scarey part...I have to sneak the plants in the house cuz the hubbie ain't so thrilled with freakin' plants being everywhere. Ya know, I used to be apologetic about it, but lately my attitude is you can kiss me sweet little...well never mind.

If Mama ain't happy...

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

I few year ago I sent out doz of these plants, I only wish the people I sent them to would share now. Most didn't even pay for the poetage but I could aford to do so at that time. Now I can't. I am so tired of responding to 'Jade' questions I got burned out, and refused to respond. They grow wild here in Calif. and are no big deal, There is so much written regarding this species of Crassula, it can be looked up and put together and a book written. Really, Norma

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

You live in Canada that is the problem. We can't send to Canada, very strict import rules going over the border. At conventions here we need to call in the Agrig. inspectors or your purchases can't go over the border It's a bumber we we need to make advance arrangments. Norma

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

I have to sneak the new plants past the hubs. One cactus/succulent looks like another to him, so that works out.

• klyde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, strict rules.

I have had friends in the US send me hoya cuttings. They get accidentally included when they send me those little hand crocheted dish rags. The package is called crafts...

No soil, no endangered plant.

I share with everyone I can find when the plant is big enough.

I don't want to hear that part about how we shouldn't be sending dishrags across the border now. I am past caring, it is just too painful.

Sometimes you just really have to have that dishrag!

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I am SO Happy for you!! Congrats...I know exactly how you feel when you finally get your hands on something you really want and can't seem to find one (within your price limits) especially. I'm doing the Happy Jade plant dance for you :o)

Enjoy and good luck!!

BTW, so glad you shared this story with us because "We do get it" even when our non-plant lover family members or friends don't have a clue,lol...

Laura, your story makes me laugh! I've done that a time or two myself :o)

• klyde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pug!

It's been too long. How are you?

Time for another road trip!

As soon as the roads are passable I am on my way...put the kettle on!

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

lol thank you, that made me smile:)

FF

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Klyde!! Thanks, I'm just peachy...nice to see you :o)

I hope you're doing well too...Kettle's on...come on down!!

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 17:28

• klyde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhh Pug. If only...well a girls gotta have these silly dreams.

Maybe if I get that job I'm interviewing for tomorrow, and maybe if it pays more than minimum wage, and maybe if after working for years to catch up with the financial holes I've created by making (in retrospect) the wrong choices in life I can save enough to actually do one of these road trips, then on my way, I'll pick up:

greenman
    rosemariero
    stush
    monet
    marguerite
    lme
    seedmoney
    norma
    laura
    and, finally
    fanny

and we'll hit the open road, be to Pugs, by say, no later than Friday of next week (somewhere in that scenario I won the jackpot, and passed on the low-paying job).

I am not taking no (from any of you) for an answer.

Don't burst my bubble people...at least not for a few more minutes...

• wweidele
    11 years ago

Wow I feel your pain I've been looking for a Hummel for a while I finally got one the other day what a mission to find one by me I always see them in some ridiculous planter for $100 or more around here but finally the other day I found one alone :)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

klyde, a lovely thought, more than a road trip needed for some, though...

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Don't know how I missed this one.... must be another one of my senior moments... I got these for someone else on GW for $6.00 each plus postage. There may be more later this year... have to check

Howard

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Hey, Like what I said to hijole, aka Greg. We will have to each have our own pair of cactus shades to wear. Like really cool to see all of us walking into a nursery wearing those shades.

• klyde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Holy crap on a cracker!

Did you say...am I understanding you correctly...6 bucks you paid?

*&^$@*&! (muttering under breath)

You see, this is what steams my clams. All of them. The lack of variability we have to deal with, when only mere miles away, you have THAT.

&^%##@!

Here's what you need to do with those bad boys, and their kin bikerdoc. Buy as many as your wallet can manage, throw them in the back of a big van, get them across the border any way you know how (was that my outside voice? darn outside voice, gotta watch that) and come sell them for, oh I don't know, $75 bucks a pop in Canada. Would be a deal on this end quite frankly. A deal considering what I've had to pay to bring things up. Not happening anymore...a girl's gotta eat.

Painful.

And the Hummels are only the beginning. Don't get me started on the Haworthias, the aloes...

Nice plants though :)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

I have shipped to our Canadian friends and not had an issue.... where are you in Canada, Klyde? I've even shipped to Gill (greenclaws) in the UK and no problem. Maybe I've been lucky... better lucky than good!

Howard

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 8:50

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

If you drive across the US/Can border into Canada, IME they're only interested in if you're bringing back liquor, cigarettes or firearms. Be prepared to show them the plants if they ask, but they usually don't. Make sure they're soil-free and make sure you can authoritatively tell them that these plants are not-cold-hardy (and therefore not a threat to Canadian agriculture). I've never had a problem coming across that way. Flyingin, that's a little different - that customs form specifically asks if you have plants, so you need to be able to deal from that deck, too. That also can be done, but it's not hassle-free.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

FYI: This is NOT a solicitation for sale and I am NOT a wholesaler/retailer, but my friend does have more of what is pictured above. His season is just getting underway for these and they may not be available as they go to retailers in the area for 2 to 3 times the price. I have to travel about 80 miles one way to get them but would gladly do so. Understand, just like with airline tickets, the later you purchase the higher the cost, so I will not guarantee the price. Please DO NOT make requests here... it's called email! I trust no one will get their nose out of joint about this... I'm just trying to be helpful.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

pssst, Lowes in the Houston area all just got new shipments of cactus\succulents and there are a ton of these in there. As a matter of fact, they must have shipped to everyone because Walmart and Home Depot were both unwrapping the same cactus this past week. I was kind of surprised to see all the varieties of jades they had. You know I had to dig through all the boxes and picked up an euphorbia I didn`t have along with some nice little plants for a cactus dish garden.

I myself do not grow them (jades), they do not like the humidity of the island nor our monsoon rains. There is a nursery up the road that has some enormous green jades that are in full bloom right now. They keep them in a very dry, very hot greenhouse and I think water them once a year. Don`t have a hot dry greenhouse either.

I`ve mailed plenty of ball moss,Tillandsia recurvata, to Canada, as a craft item of course,not to grow or anything. That`s my story and I`m sticking to it.

Norma, you always make me laugh.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz