SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Paranoid about rotting my plants.

amccour
14 years ago

The other day I accidentally rotted out my African Violet by watering it after keeping it dry for an extended period. Why was I keeping it dry? Well, it took about three or four weeks for it to wilt, and I was trying to water it a little more often than that, but still -- I figured that if it was taking a long time to wilt and wasn't actually growing, it probably wasn't using a lot of water, and that more frequents waterings would kill it. I guess the opposite was true, though.

I don't generally do this with my plants, because most of the non-succulents don't really tolerate the extended drought the way the African Violet seemed to be (and I'm not really sure why it was, anyway). So, say, if I don't water my croton or azalea or ferns or whatever for three or four weeks at a time, they're just going to outright die on me, so whether I water them after this period and cause rot isn't really any issue.

But I have a lot of succulents now, which do require long dry periods followed by more regular waterings during their growing season. I'm assuming the switch from drought to wet doesn't rot them out because their natural environments cycle between dry and rainy seasons, but I am wondering what sort of... biological process is going on here that keeps the cacti and succulents from rotting out but not the African Violet.

Comments (26)